Nothing that I'm aware of.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
eeeewwww.... glad I have the 2018 color scheme

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is hideous! Hopefully for Yamaha they have some other schemes to release besides the ones posted on their website. Might be some great deals on 2020's at the end of that year with those colors! Or maybe just never wash it to keep it covered!!

·
Super Moderator
1,254 Posts
I actually like the more drab color schemes.

But then I mostly use mine for hunting and when I park it in the woods or near some water for waterfowl I don't want a brighter color to have to cover up. My hunter green one is bad enough to hide.

Reactions: Laval

·
Registered
23 Posts
I caught some flack earlier for painting mine but it’s holding up incredibly well! some scratches but it’s durable and hidden. 2018 Kodiak EPS it’s a one off paint job... with spray paint. I used plastic bond camo paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's interesting. I like how you painted the wheels too.
Has anybody seen an atv with an airbrush paint job? I'm sure someone has done it.

It's gratifying to know Yamaha didn't come out with some ground breaking new vehicle right after I bought the previous model.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I read some where that Yamaha was coming out with a Kodiak or Grizzly 850. Anyone else hear of this rumor? Obviously not for 2020 I guess since their website is showing all of the new 2020's and no 850.

Reactions: Tirill

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some people have been asking for Yamaha to put the new 850 motor in the Grizzly to help compete with some of the other big motor atv's but Yamaha and the others in the Japanese big four makers don't seem to be interested in putting that much motor in an atv.

I personally haven't found a moment that I felt the 686cc was under powered.

·
Registered
473 Posts
My first and only other ATV is a 300 Fourtrax Honda. It is a great machine and did everything I ever wanted. That is because I did not expect miracles from it. Once you get up to the 700 CC size, there is not much more you can do to a four wheel ATV, that weighs under 800 pounds, you can make it more macho, but not too many V-8 Vega's lasted long on the road.

The Vega, was a small GM made car that some put a large engine in to achieve a fast muscle car, back in the 70s

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To be honest, not too many Vega's of any engine size lasted long on the road. :laugh:

One area of riding that I haven't tried yet where a bigger motor may be needed is deep, thick mud.

In racing of course the bigger motor seems to matter. Check out these final results from the CF Moto Hunt the Wolf race. There's one Grizzly among a bunch of Can-Am 1000's.
http://raceadmin.eu/Hunt-the-wolf/results/Extreme/final

·
Registered
58 Posts
Some people have been asking for Yamaha to put the new 850 motor in the Grizzly to help compete with some of the other big motor atv's but Yamaha and the others in the Japanese big four makers don't seem to be interested in putting that much motor in an atv.

I personally haven't found a moment that I felt the 686cc was under powered.

I came from a Rancher 420 so the Kodiak has tons of power for me, its a 22hp upgrade! When I was chatting with sales guy I brought up the mysterious "850" and a factory rep told them it would require a completely different chassis and they would be basically cannibalizing there own 700 sales. To me that means they are content with Grizzly/Kodiak 700 sales as they do control the big single cylinder segment. I keep hearing guys say they would jump ship from other manufactures if Yamaha had an 850, but would they really? Does the 850 @ 69hp make enough HP to draw in Popo and Can-am riders? UTV's alone have killed off ATV sales and that's where the money is right now.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Anyone know what the horsepower rating is for the new 686cc vs the 708cc motor? I found that the 708cc is 48.3 HP, but have not been able to find anything on the new 686, I have been curious on how they compare. the attached photo is also interesting on how the competition compares on horsepower.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I came from a Rancher 420 so the Kodiak has tons of power for me, its a 22hp upgrade! When I was chatting with sales guy I brought up the mysterious "850" and a factory rep told them it would require a completely different chassis and they would be basically cannibalizing there own 700 sales. To me that means they are content with Grizzly/Kodiak 700 sales as they do control the big single cylinder segment. I keep hearing guys say they would jump ship from other manufactures if Yamaha had an 850, but would they really? Does the 850 @ 69hp make enough HP to draw in Popo and Can-am riders? UTV's alone have killed off ATV sales and that's where the money is right now.
Here's an idea on how to promote more atv sales. Manufacturers can team up (Yeah right, I know.) and invest in the state and national parks for 50" trail creation and maintenance. Give people a place to ride and give the parks the money they need and we've got an atv promotional system.

Anyone know what the horsepower rating is for the new 686cc vs the 708cc motor? I found that the 708cc is 48.3 HP, but have not been able to find anything on the new 686, I have been curious on how they compare. the attached photo is also interesting on how the competition compares on horsepower.
I haven't found it either. Yamaha seems to be hiding it so it's probably not that good. Here's a video showing some testing on the Kodiak.

·
Registered
530 Posts
That's a very interesting video. They show the stock horsepower dyno test at about 33-34hp for the new 2019 Kodiak 686cc motor, that's down 14-15hp from what I found for the 2017 708cc.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts