Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

2020 Kodiak tires

7K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Bean20547 
#1 ·
Well I just picked up my 2020 Kodiak 700 base model. My question is I found a great deal on a set of maxxis bighorn 2.0 tires. But they are 26's instead of 25's, so will they hurt my performance?

#2 ·
Maybe

Maybe slightly but realistically not enough to worry about. Those are light tires and certainly worth it depending on the deal. if you do buy them, run them as is and worse case mods for your CVT can be fairly simple and cheap

#7 · (Edited)
My biggest issue with my factory tires was the fact they wouldn't hold air worth a **** by the time they had 450 miles on them. I replaced them with 27" zillas and used my stock rims. I have not had air loss issues since.

Edit: lol they bleeped out a mild word I used lol. It is something beavers build but with an "n" at the end....Have we gone that soft lol?

#8 ·
I have never had a problem with factory tires as long as I don't put a stick through them which I did on my 2000 Kodak on my first ride. Other than that they work alright and I don't see any need for replacing them until they are worn out.

But some feel that they need to change them out right off of the showroom floor. But then again that is there prerogative.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I didn't really have any complaints about my stock tires but I knew I could get a traction upgrade with aftermarket tires. What really surprised me was how much better the sidewall stability is on the new tires. That alone is worth the upgrade in my opinion.

I have some lightly used stock tires for sale if anybody's interested.

#12 ·
i can't comment on stock tires, mine only saw about 200 meters of use. out of dealer bay, onto my trailer, than 15 min later, back off trailer at the tire shop for new sneakers.... lol ...26" forerunner maxx plus (slingshot knockoffs).... hated them

40km later, i changed tires again...now i'm happy 26" reptile radials

#13 ·
Still running factory tires on an 18 Kodiak 450 EPS and they aren’t bad. Traction is fine sidewalks are weak but I’ll run them till they drop. Recently picked up an 08 Can Am 650XT with Slingshots on it and boy oh boy what a tire they are. I highly recommend the Slingshots for all types of riding. Weakest area with them may be deep mud and even then they go thru everything I have ran them through. Incredible for more technical mountain trails filled with stumps, logs, stones and the occasional mud hole. Exceptional tire.

#14 ·
The stock tires just don’t work for the way I ride. The sidewalls are way too squishy and roll over too easy while cornering. They are also so skinny that they don’t offer any protection for the rims. 500 miles and I’ve got 3 plugs already, two came from sticks and the last time I ever put a stick through a tire was on my old ATC 200S which had really thin 2ply tires.

#15 ·
I am looking at the Big Horn 2.0's as well, in 26". Only going from the stock 25" tires to the 26" should pretty much be a direct swap...no rubbing issues anywhere?

#16 ·
No they shouldn't be rubbing...

Reactions: Madmax
#17 ·
I just replaced the stocks, got 4000Km, with 26" CST Stags. Only put 50km on them but WOW what grip. There's a spot on the trail called the rock cut, usually a bit of a pucker but the Stags gripped great on the wet limestone. Thought they have a bit of a wobble at around 50km/h, disappears at higher or lower speeds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.