Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's the general consensus on the stock tow bar that comes on the base model? Adequate for what the unit can tow or a weak link? While I have a small trailer I don't anticipate heavy loads, but I do have a small harrow I use for working food plots. Is it up to that task or should I upgrade?

Also, the CVs look awful exposed. I can't seem to find any OEM protectors for the Kodiak. Will the ones for the Grizzly work? I did find stick stoppers but they're kind of proud of them. Any other options I'm not aware of? Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I regularly tow over a thousand pounds with no issues as well as a double set of diamond harrows. Hitch handles it fine.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
One advantage that a receiver type hitch has over the one on the base model has is that you have options on hitch height and what you can place into it. Where as the stock bar just has the ability to mount a ball on it, that is unless you get creative.

·
Registered
115 Posts
For CV boot protection, you should be able to buy OEM protectors for the upper level trim models that come with them. (SE, EPS).

I looked on Rocky Mountain ATV, and for a 2020 EPS model you can get the OEM front guards (#25, 1HP-F3123-00-00 COVER, UNDER 1, and #26 1HP-F3133-00-00 COVER, LOWER 2) for $11.55 and $13.40.
You can get the OEM rear guards (#15 1HP-F2128-00-00 COVER, THRUST 1, and #18 1HP-F2129-00-00 COVER, THRUST 2) for $16.20 each.

They should bolt right on (you can buy the bolts from them as well). They are made of plastic and are definitely not as tough as some aftermarket options such as StickStopper or Ricochet, but will offer some protection. I have had to replace a skid plate that was ripped off while riding on a logging skid road and the one I ordered from Rocky Mountain ATV fit perfectly and was of exact same quality as stock. On of my front CV guards has taken some damage from a rock or stick, but it probably saved the CV boot. at the low replacement price, I will probably replace it with another OEM one soon.

I would love to get a set of Ricochet or Baltic Armor underside protection, but i need to replace my stocker tires first as I have worn them out already and definitely need tougher ones moving forward. Looking hard at Bearclaw HTRs.

I hope this information is helpful to you, thomasr.

Happy Trails!

: )B

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Folks, thank you all for the helpful info. I love forums like this.

Hercanstein, I looked at the part numbers for the CV protectors you provided. I checked the applications against the Yamaha site and it never stated that they would fit my 2020 Kodiak 450 base model. It only mentioned several iterations of the Grizzly. Will they still fit my Kodiak? Just want to double check before I order anything.

And as a side note, I queried the folks about the Stick Stoppers. Currently backordered...probably 4-6 weeks out. My luck.

Thanks again everybody.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My Bad thomasr, I didn't realize you were on a 450. the information I gave was for a 700.

I don't think that the parts I referenced will fit your machine.

Ricochet has a set for 2018-2019 kodiak 450 for $209.95 that will probably fit your 2020. Way more $$, but surely better protection.

https://ricochetoffroad.com/collections/2018-yamaha-kodiak-450/products/4-piece-aluminum-a-arm-cv-boot-guard-set-2018-2019-yamaha-kodiak-450?variant=6468148658208

Iron Baltic also makes under armor for your machine but seems to only sell full bottom coverage sets.

ironbaltic.com

Sorry I gave you erroneous information earlier.

Hope you find a solution that won't "break the bank".

Reactions: intheeye07

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hercanstein,
No worries, I know you were only trying to help. I looked at the other units you mentioned, pricey for sure. I may just drive carefully till the Strong Made folks get spun back up for some stick stoppers. Still pricey, but not as pricey. Maybe Santa Claus will hook me up. No wait...that's how I got the Kodiak. More scheming to do.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
I went through a online parts supplier for Yamaha and didn't find any factory CV joint protectors. I looked at all the models and nothing. You might want to go down to your dealer and see if they are available on a EPS model but they may not be where aftermarket will be your only recourse.

·
Registered
530 Posts
As far as the towing goes if you get one of these you can tow a lot of weight no problem. My boat in this photo is about 4000 lbs. make sure you use low gear.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
As far as the towing goes if you get one of these you can tow a lot of weight no problem. My boat in this photo is about 4000 lbs. make sure you use low gear.
Also with a hitch like that all the tongue weight is on the dolly and not on the Kodiak with it's rear suspension bottoming out.

Here's the one that I built

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JimP,
Yeah, while perusing the site I came across the pics of your tow rig. Impressive! I like to fabricate so I can see me building one of those in the future. I noticed the unit in the pic with the blue wheeler has a longer tongue. Was the short one a problem? Just for planning purposes.

·
Registered
530 Posts
JimP,
Yeah, while perusing the site I came across the pics of your tow rig. Impressive! I like to fabricate so I can see me building one of those in the future. I noticed the unit in the pic with the blue wheeler has a longer tongue. Was the short one a problem? Just for planning purposes.
Not really, The tow rig in the picture I bought on Amazon, I believe Harbor Freight carries them also. My Kodiak has a 2" receiver so I can put different length hitches with different drops or rises pretty easy; I use the same ones from my truck. The length of the tongue on the tow rig came long like that because it also has grab handles so that you can move the trailer around by hand pretty easily if your on concrete like in my barn or garage.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You can also call Rocky Mountain ATV and ask them what your options are. They're very helpful and can save you some time searching for parts.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ricochet’s are pricey but worth it . I have nothing but good to say about them.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
JimP,
I haven't noticed any problems with it. I built it to connect directly into the receivor where others mount onto the ball.

I mostly just use it to move a 16' car hauler back and forth into my back yard. When I first hooked that trailer up to my Kodiak with just a ball it dropped down far enough that I was digging through the dirt when I had to pull it out of where I have the trailer parked, so I decided to fix the problem.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
i was just on partzlla, comparing the font a arms of the 450 and 700. there is a huge difference between them, especially the fact that 700 has arched arms and a mounting bracket for the oem guards. they wouldn't fit the arm shape even if you fabricated a mounting tab. looks like your only option is aftermarket or a diy project

1 - 17 of 17 Posts