Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

need some help identifying plugs under my final drive 2020 Kodiak EPS.

there are two plugs, one is under where the check bolt is located and another is about 5 inches toward the front (this one is lower to the ground). Both take hex drives to remove.

which one do I remove to drain the diff fluid? What is the other one for?
Thanks.

Super Moderator
The one under the check bolt is for the rear diff area, the one further towards the front is to drain all of the diff and fluid around the wet brake.

I have no idea of just why Yamaha put two drain holes into the same reservoir except that if you only want to drain a little bit as compared to draining all of it. But it is all the same fluid.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Great thanks. Very helpful. I am doing my first differential fluid change and I stripped the one near the check bolt and have to get an extractor to get it out but I was able to get the other one loose near the wet brake but I didn鈥檛 drain anything yet cause I didn鈥檛 know. So thanks for your quick response. For now, I鈥檒l just drain it through that wet brake drain plug and jack the rear up a little so oil travels forward. Thanks again.

Super Moderator
If my memory doesn't fail me all those drain plugs are 6mm allen heads.

I picked up a set of metric allen head 3/8" sockets down at AutoZone years ago and they come in handy on these bikes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, i did the same. Got a whole set. And that鈥檚 what I used a 6 mm and I still stripped it. I guess they just wrenched it on real tight from the manufacturer because it was the first time taking it off. I already have the plug on order. Thanks again.

Super Moderator
Everyone who owns a tool box should have a impact driver.

We used them a lot to break stubborn screws loose on the primary covers on motorcycles.

Reactions: mfromsc
1 - 8 of 8 Posts