Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just decided to treat myself to a Kodiak 700 during this damn quarantine and now I think i need a winch. 2 questions guys:

1)Would you recommend a wireless remote winch? If so what kind, I’ll only probably use it a few times a year
2)If not, would you just snag a champion or harbor freight brand because of the few times I’ll use it? I’m willing to pay another $50 or $75 if it looks cool and had a better reputation.
0CA06FF0-05E4-437A-B1AF-0CC3E7998918.jpeg
*If you can share links that would be helpful too

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
I'm running the warn that was free from yamaha. There are much better winches than this bottom of the barrel one with a warm sticker. It works fine.
I bought a wireless remote on fleabay cost like$15 and has 2 remotes

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: BattleCat=Kodiak

·
Registered
84 Posts
I went with the Tusk winch because it had synthetic rope. The rope is blue, so it looks cool with my blue 2019. An advantage to the Warn from Yamaha is that it comes with the control wire connector. I had to cut a wire and tap in (not a big deal).
I used it once, and it worked great. It’s rated for 3500 too.

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have always had Warn that I bought and installed myself. Never had a issue with any or the 3 I've had. Never had the one that Yamaha gets from Warn. I would stay away from the Harbor Freight brand I know friends that had issues with them, cheaply made probably from China.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have a superwinch Terra 25 on mine and I'm going to put another one on the rear. These winches are well built with all steel gears and I consider them to be the best value in an atv winch. I have a plug in remote with a long enough cord to stand well away from the machine. A wireless remote is a solution to a nonexistent problem imo.
...and don't let anyone fool ya. All atv winches are either completely or partially built in China.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
Wireless remotes work great, that is until you really need it to work and the batteries in the remote are dead.

On winches you get what you pay for. Even for very little occasional use I would get one of the name brand ones. The odds of one of them failing are quite low.

Reactions: BattleCat=Kodiak

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
That's why you add a wireless remote but any winch I've ever seen that has a wireless remote also has a hard-wired one either attached or can be attached

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a 2000 Champion for my 450 and have used it to plow my street for the last two winters without fail. The only thing I've had to replace was the synthetic rope that frays. I did just get my quad stuck playing in the mud and the 2000 pound winch had to "bear" down real hard to pull it out. I will upgrade to a bigger winch now but I think I will stick with Champion. They say "You get what you pay for" but they also say "Best bang for your buck!"

(The 450 and 700 are only about 40 pounds different in weight.)

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just posted some notes in the What Did You Do To Your Kodiak 700 Today? thread about my experience putting a Champion 4500 in my '20 700 EPS. I probably should have posted that here. It came with wired and wireless switches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts