Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Canadian 2020 Kodiak 700 EPS come with a hitch receiver?

If so, which ball mount do you recommend?

Super Moderator
According to the parts list it does.

As for a ball mount that would be up to you. I use one with a 6" drop turned upside down so that it is higher than the axles when I put it in. If I don't have the ball mount in I just use a tow hook in the receiver that I got from Harbor Freight.

One thing that you need to know is that when you connect a trailer onto the ball mount and if the trailer has any tongue weight it will decrease your ground clearance in the rear.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up on that, appreciate it, I was wondering what kind of ride people were using.

Registered
Might check out the Trio hitch from Moose. 2" ball with 3" rise, tow loop, clevis-pin hole. Happy with mine.

Reactions: MarshMaster

Premium Member
Thats funny Doc.I ordered that same hitch..

Reactions: RED KED HUSKER

Registered
I got this one:
Draw-Tite 40342

It was already mounted by the dealer, including the electrical parts. I might turn it around to adjust to the trailer height - trailer has not been delivered yet ...

Cheers,
Reinhold

Premium Member
That's a real nice setup.Trailer lights and everything.Does your Kodiak have a horn too? I want to put one on mine,the road runner horn. BeepBeep.

Registered
Yes, it got a horn as well :)

Premium Member
If no one gets it tonight,Ill measure first thing in the morning.To the center of the receiver right?

Registered
Just went out and measured . Both are 2020 models with Yamaha factory 2" reciever.
450 - 12 3/4 "
700- 15 1/ 2" to center of hitch tube

Reactions: drewdude

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I鈥檓 going to go with the curt 45009, the moose one will have a little too much rise for me, and the curt still allows me to have a multi use ball mount.

Registered
As long as the level is what you want all the hitches are fully capable actually I had a hard time finding a hitch that was not over built/heavy for ATV applications. Red

Super Moderator
The problem with the hitch height is that once the trailer is loaded with increased torque weight the suspension on the Kodiak is going to drop down. Then when you get onto it the suspension may drop some more.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Registered
And that is the reason for balancing your load so that the tongue weight is of a proper weight without overloading the hitch. Takes a bit of time and experience and I know when to shift the load. Property balanced and the limitation is load weight to pull.

Super Moderator
I ran into the problem of too much tongue weight when I first pulled my car hauler trailer out of my back yard a few years ago. I was used to the solid axle of my 2000 Kodiak and when I hooked the trailer up to the 700 I knew that I had to do something.

Here is what I came up with. I now no longer have to worry about any tongue weight issues.

Reactions: MarshMaster

Registered
Excellent solution.. similar to that used on full sized trailers. I was referring more to a true ATV work trailer for the tongue weight issues. Bigger trailer .. bigger... load of crap!

Super Moderator
I don't know if you could really load up a ATV cargo trailer to the point that you would really need to worry about it.

I have had a small single axle home made trailer with two elk on it with no problems. I'd say that each elk weighed around 500 lbs.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts