Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Grizzled Mod
Reactions: Vincent

Super Moderator
Boring! Lol

Those are the type of situations where a winch on the front is next to useless, and you either need a friend with you, a very long winch line and or rope or something else that you can use to attach somewhere, or the winch on the rear.

I got into one of those type of problems one year. The only thing to hook to was some rocks off the the side and behind me. My winch line didn't make it to anything else. I had to run the line up over the front rack to reach the rocks to get myself turned and out of the situation. After that I started to carry 300 feet of mule tape that the company that I worked for used to pull in cables. It was rated at 2400 lbs.

Registered
Those are the type of situations where a winch on the front is next to useless, and you either need a friend with you, a very long winch line and or rope or something else that you can use to attach somewhere, or the winch on the rear.

I got into one of those type of problems one year. The only thing to hook to was some rocks off the the side and behind me. My winch line didn't make it to anything else. I had to run the line up over the front rack to reach the rocks to get myself turned and out of the situation. After that I started to carry 300 feet of mule tape that the company that I worked for used to pull in cables. It was rated at 2400 lbs.
How is a front mounted winch worthless? My winch got me out after only 5 min of shoveling

Super Moderator
OK, not totally worthless but you need to be able to hook up onto something to get out. Most of the time you don't really want to get pulled deeper but pulled out.

Grizzled Mod
@JimP yep, understood and the reason why I started carrying an extra 50 feet of synthetic rope with me to give me just under 100 feet of length on my winch. That has almost always got me out of problems here in CO as I don't usually end up going to elevations above tree line with lots of snow on the ground. I save those high altitude runs for the summer.

Super Moderator
My problem came up as I was crossing a snow covered meadow. I picked the wrong way around the rocks in the middle of it. When I got stuck I had all 4 tires spinning in a gray soupy mud. The nearest tree or even bushes were over 200 feet away. I figured that if wrapping the line up and over the rack didn't work I was going to have a long hike out and back with some equipment to get me out.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Grizzled Mod
Don't do that! ;-)

Yeah, yeah, easier said than done!

Registered
Up date on miss info I gave on this thread. It took me some time, but now I know some details on it. I encouraged a friend to buy a new 700 Kodiak and he did. He bought a dealer demo that had ten hours on it. When he wanted a winch he asked the dealer what they recommended and they sold him a winch and said everything is there to install it. The guy took the winch home and put it on and could tell that this machine had some bolt marks like it had a winch in the past. After I told him that the thread people said they don't come wired, I asked him to follow up, and the dealer told him yes it had one, but they needed it for another machine so sold it to him without a winch.

Registered
No reason to tap the wire, standing in front of the bike looking at the battery compartment, the top left there is an accessory wire with bullet connectors, with an insulated bullet coming off it to use for accessory power. In the bag with your your owners manual, there should be a "y" wire provided by yamaha to plug into that insulated bullet that allows yet another accessory wire.
Also, no need to put your winch contactor up in the battery box, it can be mounted on the winch plate on the provided mounting holes where its supposed to be.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
My 2021 Kodiak did not come with "y" wire to plug into the accessory clip. I'm installing a winch and would like to plug in the rocker switch there. Anyone know how to get one? I called a couple Yamaha dealers in my area and they could not help me.

Super Moderator
My 2021 Kodiak did not come with "y" wire to plug into the accessory clip. I'm installing a winch and would like to plug in the rocker switch there. Anyone know how to get one? I called a couple Yamaha dealers in my area and they could not help me.
Here is what you need to connect a Y into under the hood so to speak.

You should be able to take the part number into your dealer and they should have some. If you order it from Partzilla they will kill you with shipping.

Registered
Here is what you need to connect a Y into under the hood so to speak.

You should be able to take the part number into your dealer and they should have some. If you order it from Partzilla they will kill you with shipping.
Thanks for the tip and quick response. I'll give it a try.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts