Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member first post I have a base model 2020 Kodiak 700 and I don’t know if it’s pre wired for a winch and if it is where are the wires tucked.

For reference I have the Yamaha warm 2000 vantage. So if it is pre wired will this winch just plug and play?

Thanks in advance

Ross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
I can't be sure, but I believe you have everything there to wire it up. The winch should tell you the steps I think.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I also believe that you will find match colored wires, so that should be a tip on what goes where.

·
Registered
627 Posts
They are not pre wired for a winch. However, there is a pigtail that connects into the accessory power. I understand Yamaha doesn't normally include it with the bike anymore. When i bought my 16 new, there was one laying in the storage compartment.winches are not a difficult install if you adhere to the directions. Do you have the mounting plate specific to your machine? If not, you need it prior to install.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are not pre wired for a winch. However, there is a pigtail that connects into the accessory power. I understand Yamaha doesn't normally include it with the bike anymore. When i bought my 16 new, there was one laying in the storage compartment.winches are not a difficult install if you adhere to the directions. Do you have the mounting plate specific to your machine? If not, you need it prior to install.
Thanks man the winch plate in still in the mail but does the accessory pigtail run from the 12v adapter on the right side or is it else where

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
You will have to run a main power to the winch solenoid from the battery + and - terminals.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks man the winch plate in still in the mail but does the accessory pigtail run from the 12v adapter on the right side or is it else where

the pigtail plugs into the 12 volt accessory harness from ignition. like Jimp mentioned as well, you still must hook up your winch motor ,solenoid etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the pigtail plugs into the 12 volt accessory harness from ignition. like Jimp mentioned as well, you still must hook up your winch motor ,solenoid etc.
So is from the key wires being the key hole?
and that will make it to where it won’t draw power when parked

·
Registered
58 Posts
I tapped into Cigarette lighter lead as "keyed power" on winch on my 19', didn't bother to look for an accessory lead. I also found room to mount the solenoid up in the battery box instead of down on the mounting plate. I used the KFI plate to mount my Vantage 3000-s

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tapped into Cigarette lighter lead as "keyed power" on winch on my 19', didn't bother to look for an accessory lead. I also found room to mount the solenoid up in the battery box instead of down on the mounting plate. I used the KFI plate to mount my Vantage 3000-s
That’s what I thought about doing just tapping into the cigarette lighter I have the winch play from Yamaha in the mail is kfi better? And thanks for the sigestion of the battery box mount seems like a good place to keep it from mud

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
That’s what I thought about doing just tapping into the cigarette lighter I have the winch play from Yamaha in the mail is kfi better? And thanks for the sigestion of the battery box mount seems like a good place to keep it from mud

No reason to tap the wire, standing in front of the bike looking at the battery compartment, the top left there is an accessory wire with bullet connectors, with an insulated bullet coming off it to use for accessory power. In the bag with your your owners manual, there should be a "y" wire provided by yamaha to plug into that insulated bullet that allows yet another accessory wire.
Also, no need to put your winch contactor up in the battery box, it can be mounted on the winch plate on the provided mounting holes where its supposed to be.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't want to be a wet blanket but don't abuse that vantage winch. Durability is not a strong point. For the life of me, I can't understand why they would put composite gears in a winch.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
I don't want to be a wet blanket but don't abuse that vantage winch. Durability is not a strong point. For the life of me, I can't understand why they would put composite gears in a winch.
Exactly...
The only reason is to put an inexpensive to build winch on the bikes and stick an expensive warn sticker on it... Just an advertising piece for them. I'll use mine until it dies then replace it with a non-warn

·
Registered
627 Posts
Exactly...
The only reason is to put an inexpensive to build winch on the bikes and stick an expensive warn sticker on it... Just an advertising piece for them. I'll use mine until it dies then replace it with a non-warn

at least one of our local dealers won't sell the vantage winch anymore. They call it the "bic lighter" winch lol. They do sell the provantage with steel gears and they push the KFI stuff a lot now.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
at least one of our local dealers won't sell the vantage winch anymore. They call it the "bic lighter" winch lol. They do sell the provantage with steel gears and they push the KFI stuff a lot now.
My 2020 Kodiak EPS SE came with the Pro Vantage 2500 Winch installed. Warn doesn't even list it on their web site anymore so I suspect Yamaha had a bunch in a warehouse to get rid of and is adding them to the SE models. The clutch engagement switch on the winch kind of sucks, and the mounting on the Kodiak is too low (IMO) but it's already extracted the Kodiak twice ;)

Will also likely swap out the cable for rope, and try and find a wireless remote for it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wonder how many ATV owners are like me and only use their winch to lift the plow blade up and down about 16 inches. My winch cable has never been out of the spool in 4 years....I try to avoid places where I might get stuck :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
I wonder how many ATV owners are like me and only use their winch to lift the plow blade up and down about 16 inches. My winch cable has never been out of the spool in 4 years....I try to avoid places where I might get stuck :)
Boring! Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My 2020 Kodiak EPS SE came with the Pro Vantage 2500 Winch installed. Warn doesn't even list it on their web site anymore so I suspect Yamaha had a bunch in a warehouse to get rid of and is adding them to the SE models. The clutch engagement switch on the winch kind of sucks, and the mounting on the Kodiak is too low (IMO) but it's already extracted the Kodiak twice ;)

Will also likely swap out the cable for rope, and try and find a wireless remote for it.
Thayer make a wired remote for it with 50 feet of wire but I can’t find it anywhere

1 - 20 of 28 Posts