Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, all it's been a while.
Bought the subject ride late last summer. I've only got 9 hours on it...hey, life got in the way. Well it's been sitting for about 2 months now. Today I used it to move a harrow...slow moving for about 75 yards. Shut it down for about 15 minutes them cranked it back up to put it away. Low and behold I it started but with the CEL like on. Idles fine, but once you start to give it any throttle it starts to sputter and miss. Ran just fine while moving the harrow. Harrow is not that heavy, smooth ground easy going. Shut it down for a minute, cranked back up, same situation. How can I check codes? Considering it's newness I know it needs to go back to the dealer, but I'm a DIYer by heart so I'd like to know how to do this kind of stuff. Appreciate any help.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
It takes a special code reader to read the codes and only available at the dealer. I've looked and can't even find one available aftermarket.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
Does the light flash when you first turn the key on or is it just a steady light?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all.

No code reader?!?! Well that bites. Hopefully somebody can develop one soon. We have them for cars but not an ATV??

I considered stale gas. I use only non-ethanol with Stabil added for what that's worth. It's got 3/4 of a tank...wouldn't hurt to pump some out and refill with fresh just to see.

I didn't notice if the light was steady or flashing, I'll have to check. What would that indicate? Y'all have a good one,

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
If it flashes you can count the flashes to find the code. The fast flashes are the first number in the code and slow flashes are the second number.

I remembered that a another member had posted that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, got to mess with the ride for a little bit. The CEL is on steady, not flashing. Started fine and idles but starts sputtering and missing if you try and give it any throttle. Siphoned all the gas I could and put in about a half gallon of fresh non-ethanol. Let it idle for about 20 minutes. No real change. I may try idling it some more later just to make sure I'm running on fresh gas but it looks like a trip to the dealer is in my future. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would replace the spark plug, maybe its missing code. I had a new bad spark plug that I replaced a good fuel pump for nothing then tried another new plug and fixed it. Also had the fuel sock on the fuel pump clogged once. Both had the same issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm....fuel sock huh? Idling fine but not reeving up could be fuel starvation. I'll give that a look. Thanks!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts