Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Kodiak 700 EPS that I quite like and will continue to ride, but it's time to get my wife a new bike. The top end of her Honda blew up quite violently yesterday. It's a 2006 TRX350FE and she quite liked it so I'm thinking about a 2020 Kodiak 450 base model to replace it. We're not really worried about the lack of power steering or horsepower from the smaller bike (small compared to the 700 that is). It's 7hp more than her old Honda, she rides mostly fire roads which don't really require power steering, the rear suspension being new and independent should ride much better, fuel injected is a big plus for me, selectable 2/4wd will be nice, anything is better than the drum brakes on her old bike, and the transmission should be a lot smoother than the jerky electric shift in the Honda.

It sounds like improvements to almost everything, but I can't find a picture or info of what the "cockpit" includes on the base model! Is there any kind of a gauge (speedometer, hour meter, etc) or is it just the neutral and warning lights like on some of the older machines?

I don't want to spend the $1200 (Canadian) for the EPS model just for the power steering, but if there are other differences other than the headlight please let me know.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I am opinionated so I am going to tell you what I think. First I would recommend the 700, and in order to not wear out your wife and deplete her interest in ATVs I would recommend the power steering. After all, if she is not all wore out at the end of the trail, she may have interest in other things in the evening!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am opinionated so I am going to tell you what I think. First I would recommend the 700, and in order to not wear out your wife and deplete her interest in ATVs I would recommend the power steering. After all, if she is not all wore out at the end of the trail, she may have interest in other things in the evening!
Thanks for the reply, but I really don't think we'll be getting another 700. As mentioned, the 450 has a little more power than her current quad which she's been happy with.

She doesn't want us to spend the money on a new machine either, but I'd like her to have something newer and more reliable. Trying to compromise by keeping purchase price down. I've been trying to sell her on EPS, but putting along on easy terrain she says she can't tell the difference when we switch bikes and she gets to ride the 700 EPS.

·
Super Moderator
1,888 Posts
There has only been a couple of times that I wished that I had the power steering on my Kodiak, and that is usually when I am in rocks.

Other than that steering is no problem, but then if you have ever had it you will never miss it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I own both 700 Kodiak and 450 which are base models. Had a Polaris 450 for 3 years, good service but exceedingly crude drivetrain. Bought a 405 kodiak for the daughter and grandson to ride. The instrument cluster on the 450 has all you need. The 700 is piss poor as regards gauges on the base. I added a hour meter/tach on my 700. Do not believe that you will need PS my 130 lb daughter doed not feel the need. If I were riding for hours on end or riding smooth boulder ravines with constant kick back the get the PS. With the new Kenda HTR tires the bike turns easier and better 'feel '. Save the money for tires. The 450 is like a Miata, not the fastest/ baddest. But one of the most pleasant to ride machines. She does everything I as of her. Refined ride. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of those saying PS is necessary have no ridden the new 450 without. Just a different view point.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Guarentee the 700 will "wear her out " more than the 450.

·
Registered
411 Posts
TRW is correct about the 'EVENING '
However I am confident about recommending the 450 for your wife. Since TRW said he was opinionated I will be severely disappointed if I do not receive some CRAP from him over the ' wimpy old guy recommendation' ...please don't leave me feeling ignored. Hit me..Red. 😂

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but I really don't think we'll be getting another 700. As mentioned, the 450 has a little more power than her current quad which she's been happy with.

She doesn't want us to spend the money on a new machine either, but I'd like her to have something newer and more reliable. Trying to compromise by keeping purchase price down. I've been trying to sell her on EPS, but putting along on easy terrain she says she can't tell the difference when we switch bikes and she gets to ride the 700 EPS.
My wife and I both have 2016 Kodiak 700 BASE models. I added YAMAHA tach/hours meters to them so that i could manage the maintenance schedules. We are 56 years old and she has never had a problem steering hers (nor have I with mine), In fact I mentioned that power steering was on higher priced models and she laughed and said that was silly (her word).

We've ridden them 4 years. I plow with mine. She would be just as happy on a 450, but she would be disappointed that she couldn't win our little races on the road. Her ATV is actually a little bit faster than mine!

As long as its a YAMAHA you're making the right choice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm going to try to track down a dealer that has a 450 base model in stock (closest dealership didn't have one). A lot of your feedback confirmed what I suspected, EPS is not really needed on the terrain she rides. I don't think she'll ever want to put big tires on it or crawl up rocky creek beds, just get out and explore some of the scenic trails with me.

The instrument cluster on the 450 has all you need.
Are you able to snap a picture, or are you aware of one online somewhere? Yamaha's website and a Google search didn't turn up much for images of the base model gauges... Either it was photos of the EPS model or I wasn't able to tell.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My 450 is a base model also. The screen will give you odometer/trip meter/hours/miles to service. Also speedometer, fuel gauge ( which has been very accurate). P-N-R dummy lites. Also has temp and check engine light warning. Hope the pics are OK night photos I'm not sure about.
Technology Electronic device Font Multimedia
Font Technology Auto part Subcompact car
Font Technology Electronic device
Technology Auto part Electronic device

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 450 is a base model also. The screen will give you odometer/trip meter/hours/miles to service. Also speedometer, fuel gauge ( which has been very accurate). P-N-R dummy lites. Also has temp and check engine light warning. Hope the pics are OK night photos I'm not sure about.
That's awesome. Thanks! Looks like the same gauges they use on the EPS model, which I guess is why I couldn't find a different one when I was searching around the internet. I was expecting something half assed for the base model

·
Registered
411 Posts
You would not believe how lame the 700 base model gauges are. P-R-N lights & check engine light and temp warning....that's it I had to install a Moose RPM/Hour meter. PATHETIC YAMAHA. Red

·
Registered
411 Posts
1100$ US more for the EPS model. My daughter doesn't think that there is any need for PS. The 450 turns easy . Save the money for some Kenda bearclaw HTRs or other excellent tires. The HTRs turn much better than stock. Happy hunting. Red

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Power steering is impressive and we'll worth it. Just my opinion and many, many, others. I personally like a full digital gauge display as it provides good usable information.

·
Super Moderator
1,888 Posts
You would not believe how lame the 700 base model gauges are. P-R-N lights & check engine light and temp warning....that's it I had to install a Moose RPM/Hour meter. PATHETIC YAMAHA. Red
They aren't lame they are non existent.

That is why I put a aftermarket one on that has a actual coolant temperature gauge along with a volt meter, hour meter, trip odometer, odometer, speedometer, service notification, and a number of other things.

·
Registered
411 Posts
JimP what brand did you use. Was it difficult to make the appropriate connections?

·
Registered
411 Posts
To many people who are experienced and knowledgeable swear by the PS. Obviously you are not all wrong. If I spent 6-7 hrs in the saddle or dealt with boulder ravines I'm sure it would be must have. I can afford it but here's the rub... if it's so damn necessary then it should be standard. Do I have to pay for disc brakes/fuel injection..no. It pissed me off to much to be BENT OVER that I would not buy the PS model. Like charging several thousand for a paint color on cars today. Just saying... don't like getting dicked.

·
Super Moderator
1,888 Posts
It is a Trail Tech Striker

The hardest part was to do the custom mount which I used a piece of 2 inch angle iron with a notch cut into it. Then mounting it to the top piece of plastic. Other than that it is pretty much straight forward. You do have to pull one of the bolts out of the brake rotor to place a magnetic one in or you can mount it elsewhere and use epoxy in a supplied magnet to work the sensor for the speedometer/odometer function

·
Super Moderator
1,888 Posts
Sometimes I wonder what we did back before power steering was invented for our cars and truck, not to mention our ATV's.

I also have wondered what it would be like if that PS failed while you were out in the woods, how would the steering be affected, could you muscle it or are you pretty much dead in the water? At least on the older cars and truck with PS you could muscle the wheel around but with this new electric stuff you may just be dead in the water.

Now I'm going to show my age, does anyone remember these sayings?

Power steering by armstrong

Air conditioning by 2x55

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have several vintage sports cars and the days of sublime steering feel are fading (BMW).. overboosted PS is an anathema to driver's who value feedback and feel. Maybe ATV'S are immune to this plague. I will get my behind on a PS model and give it an open minded eval. OLD DOG / NEW TRICKS.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts