Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new owner. I'm just breaking in my 2020 700 EPS. One thing I noticed is a pretty good whine from up front, I'm guessing just the belt drive. Around 25 mph. Also kind of pulsating. Normal?

Super Moderator
No it isn't normal.

I'd take it into the dealer and have them check it out.

A friend purchased a 2000 Kodiak at the same time that I purchased mine way back then and within a couple of miles he said that he had a problem. I opened up the belt housing and a gallon of water drained out.

Super Moderator
It is better to have them check it now instead of fighting with them later.

By the way, welcome to the forum. When they get it figured out let us know what was going on with it.

Reactions: Madmax

Premium Member
Hmm, interesting. I (finally) got some seat time on my '20 Kodiak as well and was hearing the same thing, was thinking it actually has a supercharger type whine but mostly when slowing down and not under power. This is my first belt drive ATV (always had Honda's) so was just attributing the sound to the Yamaha drive system. I only have about 12 hours on it so will also have the shop give it a good once over for its first service.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After watching tons of videos, every one I watched they had the whine, so Im good with it. Now Im fighting the clutch rattle.

Premium Member
After watching tons of videos, every one I watched they had the whine, so Im good with it. Now Im fighting the clutch rattle.
Yea, I noticed that rattle as well, on heavy off-throttle braking. Is that a normal/clutch thing?

Me coming from all Honda's this was never an issue.

Premium Member
Are you describing the engine breaking sound?
For me - No.

When riding and coming to a hard stop (with brakes & not engine braking), the trans makes an almost chattering sound & feel. Never had this feeling on my Hondas but they use a significantly different trans setup.

Registered
The slow down clattering is normal.

The rear wheels will make a clatering noise in the engine's sub transmission when you are braking, or decesserating down hills. It's all the engineered slack in the components as the system gets loaded and unloaded suddenly.

Reactions: john zane
1 - 12 of 12 Posts