Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have a KFI mount plate if I remember correctly so I am not a brand snob lol. As I mentioned earlier, none are immune to failure. I don't know about superwinch 's entire line but, you can pretty much buy enough individual parts to build your own Terra. I confirmed this through corresponding with them.Funny thing though. I was talking with the more hard core wheelers in our club about winches and they were all of the opinion that going with Runva is the best option. They said they've destroyed them all and now they just pull off the winch when it dies and send it back for free replacement. They also say the Runva winches are as tough as any so, go figure.

·
Super Moderator
1,512 Posts
I worked in the pole line construction field for many years and winches were a matter of use every day. We used winches with synthetic rope along with wire rope and found that both have theirs advantages. As for when they break, with wire rope you can see when it is going to fail if you are watching it. Synthetic rope on the other hand usually just snaps where there is a problem with it.

In my book they both have their advantages and disadvantages. You just have to figure out which one is better for your situation.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Colorado Kodiak 700

·
Registered
688 Posts
Warn winches have a lifetime warranty (mechanical), 3 year warranty (electrical). And made in the USA
They are "assembled" in the USA is a more accurate statement. Warn sources components all over the globe just like the rest.The market is much too competitive to source all the parts domestically. They'd have to price their winches so high, nobody would buy them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi friends. I did a search and found info on winches from a few years ago, but I imagine that there might be newer better winches out since then.

I just bought a new 2019 Kodiak 700 base model. I'd like to buy a new winch/ mounting plate and install it myself. I've got tons of tools and I'm handy around cars, atvs, etc., but I've never installed a winch before.

Which winch should I choose for this new atv? Do you recommend any particular online site where I can get a good deal on the winch and mounting plate at the same time?

I'm leaning toward Warn just because of the name recognition and positive reviews, but I'd rather buy a cheaper winch, if I can do so without sacrificing quality and longevity.

This would be a winch that I would RARELY use. It would be used only to pull the atv out if i get stuck in the mud somewhere. I will not be using it for plowing snow or anything like that.

Thank you!
I installed the champion 3000# on mine $100 from Amazon and another 50 for the mounting plate. Used the **** out of this weekend and it definitely preformed better than I was expecting. Only complaint is the switch is kind of bulky

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've got a Warn 2500# on mine, cable. Thought about putting a synthetic rope on it but really not sure if it'd be any better for me..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just put a Runva 3500 on my Kodiak. Aside from making the mounting plate installation was very simple. Winch is very quiet and seems well made. At $169 from Costco it seems like a good deal especially considering Costco’s return policy.

·
Super Moderator
1,512 Posts
Problem is that the warranty is only good when you get it back to the store and not when you are frame + deep in mud and muck and need to get out

·
Registered
71 Posts
Everything I read about them was positive. I have yet to have a winch totally quit me. Usually they start giving trouble well in time for you to replace them.

·
Super Moderator
1,512 Posts
I have had cheaper winches strip the gears when under tension and then there you sit.

That is where you go with the reputation of the manufacturer

·
Registered
688 Posts
I don't have a runva myself but I know at least 10 who do. I am told the gears are all steel and they take as much beating as any. Take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently installed a KFI 2500. It was very easy to install. The kit comes easy to read instructions and everything you need, even the mounting plate , switch, wiring and hardware, also a great guarantee. It has been trouble free, and was fairly cheap at $236.00 with free shipping from eBay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Strongly recommend the superwinch Terra 25. One of the best values in an atv winch on the market imo.Every bit as good as a warn provantage.
Did it require a mounting plate or were you able to secure without one?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
458 Posts
Did it require a mounting plate or were you able to secure without one?
Thanks
A winch requires a mounting plate

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
I usually put a 4500 lb winch on my rides, my 2017 Kodiak has a 2000 lb Warne that came on it I'm not sure the 4500 lb will go in the 2020 Kodiak I just bought, may have to go with a 3500 lb. I put a 4500 lb. Viper in my 2020 Polaris Turbo RZR.

Steve..........

·
Super Moderator
458 Posts
I usually put a 4500 lb winch on my rides, my 2017 Kodiak has a 2000 lb Warne that came on it I'm not sure the 4500 lb will go in the 2020 Kodiak I just bought, may have to go with a 3500 lb. I put a 4500 lb. Viper in my 2020 Polaris Turbo RZR.

Steve..........
Your 2017 and your 2020 kodiak are exacly the same room, nothing has changed on the bike. 4500 would severely overkill for this bike, a 2000 or a 2500 is plenty. 2500 is over 4 times the bike weight.

Depending on the brand, i believe a 3000 is the largest you can squeeze in there, maybe a 3500.

The 2500 warn that came with my 2018 kodiak has been more than enough. Personally, i believe any stronger and you are gonna bend or twist something if you need that to get out.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've seen the aftermath of what a 4500 lb winch can do to an atv. A smaller honda 4 trax . This guy put this winch on because he figured the 2000 had to work too hard to get him out of the crazy places he took that little Honda. Anyway, he got it stuck bad in a bog and near tore the bike apart by the time he got it out. Frame was badly damaged. Snapped the mounts on the front rack. Just a mess.

·
Super Moderator
1,512 Posts
If anyone wants to mount it to their Kodiak, I have a 8,000 lb Warn winch that I'd sell.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts