Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends. I did a search and found info on winches from a few years ago, but I imagine that there might be newer better winches out since then.

I just bought a new 2019 Kodiak 700 base model. I'd like to buy a new winch/ mounting plate and install it myself. I've got tons of tools and I'm handy around cars, atvs, etc., but I've never installed a winch before.

Which winch should I choose for this new atv? Do you recommend any particular online site where I can get a good deal on the winch and mounting plate at the same time?

I'm leaning toward Warn just because of the name recognition and positive reviews, but I'd rather buy a cheaper winch, if I can do so without sacrificing quality and longevity.

This would be a winch that I would RARELY use. It would be used only to pull the atv out if i get stuck in the mud somewhere. I will not be using it for plowing snow or anything like that.

Thank you!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Warn is the biggest name with the best reputation but you will pay for it.

Super winch have a good reputation as well but not quite so expensive.

SuperATV winches are a really good value with what they came with.

I have a Tractor Supply Travellers 3500 ATV winch. It was on sale so I said what the heck. So far it’s been excellent. I’ve used its twice this weekends ATV trip.

Then you have the good old harbor freight winch. Mixed reviews with that one. Some people have good luck and some don’t.

I’m sure there are some other ones I’m missing. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Attachments

·
Registered
767 Posts
Strongly recommend the superwinch Terra 25. One of the best values in an atv winch on the market imo.Every bit as good as a warn provantage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You get what you pay for i have a 14 grizzly with original warn winch and a 18 kodiak with a warn flawless with both been plowing with grizzly for 3 winters all it has done is broke cable cant go wrong with a warn its all i will purchase for dependability but its your choice

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yes, you certainly do get what you pay for in most cases. However, with warn you are paying a certain percentage for their name alone. I've plowed every winter since buying my machine in 2015 and used the winch to pull myself and others out of some very sticky predicaments. When I chose my winch I did a lot of homework on it. I settled on the Terra and no regrets.

·
Registered
348 Posts
You get what you pay for i have a 14 grizzly with original warn winch and a 18 kodiak with a warn flawless with both been plowing with grizzly for 3 winters all it has done is broke cable cant go wrong with a warn its all i will purchase for dependability but its your choice
Have you had other winches that didn't work out for you?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just installed the KFI Sealth 3,500lb winch with synthetic rope. I got it on eBay for $325 with the Kodiak specific mounting plate.

I did a lot of research and read a lot of reviews before deciding. KFI is USA made. Having just got installed it, I don't have any long term opinion.

I've heard to stay away from the Harbor Freight 2,500 and that the 3.500 is supposed to be a pretty good item.

But you can also get a KFI metal cable and not blacked out just a few more dollars than the HF.

I had to install the solenoid on the mount plate which I was not happy about, but couldn't see where to squeeze it in the battery compartment.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have had nothing but Warn and have never had any issues with them other than a broken cable which I always replace with a synthetic rope which last forever. I had a warn 2500 on an old 2006 grizzly that was used extensively for plowing for 12 years and was drowned in the river I cross weekly on my property. I now own 2017 Kodiak 700 and a 2001 Honda Foreman Rubicon and I put a Warn VRX 3500 on the Kodiak and a Warn VRX 2500 on the Honda because they are getting the same type of abuse as the old grizzly, plowing and drowned in the river and I wanted a winch that I felt was the most water-proof form my research; and mostly experience. My river is usually 2 foot deep most of the time and sometimes deeper after rains.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I just thought I'd add that the superwinch Terra has a limited lifetime warranty and all steel gears. If I sound like a fanboy, it 's because I am. I'll rocking one on the rear this fall.Someone mentioned waterproof and that is an important consideration for the Kodiak given how low the winch sits. Btw, I am also asynthetic rope convert. No more steel cable for this guy.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Whatever you buy, make sure you do your homework. You want a good warranty. You want steel gears. You want waterproof. Btw, I highly recommend synthetic rope. No more steel cable for this guy.Again, I also highly recommend the superwinch Terra.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed the superwinch terra 35 with the synthetic rope. Hoping to get out this weekend and break in the kodiak. Have not had time to do that since I got her.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I like the idea of the synthetic rope from a weight standpoint. I want as little weight in the front as I can get away with. I've read where the synthetic rope can be an issue if you're not good about cleaning it. The complaints were that the rope wouldn't unspool because the previous rides mud dried into a glue and they couldn't get it unstuck. I'm good about washing my Kodiak so I don't think it would be an issue but for some people it might.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
I have always figured that we all have been placing our winches on our trucks, and ATV's in the wrong locations.

Ideally they should be placed on the rear of a vehicle. Think about it, you drive into a mud bog or something else and need to get pulled out. Which way do you really want to go. Forward the rest of the way through the mess or backwards out of it? I know that the with the winch that I had on my truck I was always pulling someone else out of a mess and the one and only time that I had to use it for myself I was lucky and backed down a hill and slid into a tree where pulling forward and sideways was the best way to go, but 99% of the time you want to be pulled out and not further into the problem.

Now you do need a winch on the front of a ATV if you are planning on plowing and using the winch to raise and lower the plow, but for most other circumstances it would work better on the rear of the vehicle.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have always figured that we all have been placing our winches on our trucks, and ATV's in the wrong locations.

Ideally they should be placed on the rear of a vehicle. Think about it, you drive into a mud bog or something else and need to get pulled out. Which way do you really want to go. Forward the rest of the way through the mess or backwards out of it? I know that the with the winch that I had on my truck I was always pulling someone else out of a mess and the one and only time that I had to use it for myself I was lucky and backed down a hill and slid into a tree where pulling forward and sideways was the best way to go, but 99% of the time you want to be pulled out and not further into the problem.

Now you do need a winch on the front of a ATV if you are planning on plowing and using the winch to raise and lower the plow, but for most other circumstances it would work better on the rear of the vehicle.
I use a tow strap way more in the rear than my winch. The only reason I use a winch is to self recover or if I can’t use the tow strap.

I think a tiger tail in the rear and a winch in the front is a good setup. That’s of course if you are riding with other people.

Edit: Down here is south east AL in the clay/mud and we end up doing recoveries almost every time we ride. That’s a lot a strain on winch cables and I’ve seen a lot of them break (cable and rope). So that’s why the tow strap is a go to. There’s a lot more shock resistance and longevity in the straps.

I’m really looking forward to getting a tiger tail and trying one out.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I feel the same way Jim. This fall, wether I have the Kodiak or something else, I will be Adding a winch to the rear.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Something else to consider is the fact that no winch is immune to failure ,regardless of manufacturer. Having said that, sometimes the reason for failure is an easily replaceable part. There are only a limited number of manufacturer who list and sell parts for their winches. Warn and superwinch are the only ones I am sure of but there may be others. If the manufacturer doesn't offer parts, I wouldn't touch it. When I bought my bike, the dealer pushed hard to sell me a KFI winch but upon checking, I discovered the didn't offer parts and only carried a one yr warranty. That was a deal breaker. I decided not to buy from the dealer at all and purchased my winch elsewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed the KFI 2500 winch and mounting plate. Install was easy
I researched kfi even before purchasing my atv and found them to be a very reputable co making a quality winch. They are a small family owned American co.
I have to disagree with the previous post saying kfi doesn't sell parts for there products. Their parts are listed right on their web site

·
Registered
767 Posts
I installed the KFI 2500 winch and mounting plate. Install was easy
I researched kfi even before purchasing my atv and found them to be a very reputable co making a quality winch. They are a small family owned American co.
I have to disagree with the previous post saying kfi doesn't sell parts for there products. Their parts are listed right on their web site
They didn't offer any parts when I was buying my bike. That was the first thing I asked when he was pushing that particular winch on me. He had KFI catalogue right there and there were no internal parts listed. That may have changed since 2015 but I don't know. The one yr warranty is still a deal breaker for me regardless. They may be an American company but( unless something's changed recently) their atv winches are made in China like pretty much every manufacturer's atv,Utv winches. Not implying they are not good products at all. It's just odd to me, that they don't warranty their winches longer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They didn't offer any parts when I was buying my bike. That was the first thing I asked when he was pushing that particular winch on me. He had KFI catalogue right there and there were no internal parts listed. That may have changed since 2015 but I don't know. The one yr warranty is still a deal breaker for me regardless. They may be an American company but( unless something's changed recently) their atv winches are made in China like pretty much every manufacturer's atv,Utv winches. Not implying they are not good products at all. It's just odd to me, that they don't warranty their winches longer.
I agree that most if not all of these lite duty atv winchs are made in China
To me more important then the length of the warranty is the company standing behind that warranty
If its not something as simple as a handlebar switch or a contactor I am probably just replacing the winch anyway
Boxing up a winch and paying 20 or 30 dollars to ship it back to the manufacturer just to be told the repair isn't covered
No thanks .Also not here to argue about who makes the best winch just believe kfi sells an excellent product at a reasonable price
Maybe I didn't look in the right place but I didn't see any internal parts listed on super winches website

1 - 20 of 48 Posts