Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2018 Yamaha Kodiak, YFM700FWB, 2" Lift, yamaha winch and plow
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was plowing and after a half hour the machine just shut off. As if I hit the kill switch. But didn't! Put the key in the on position everything lit up gauges lit up, and the fan was on but the machine will not start when I hit the green start button. The machine started a few hours later. This happened to me two days in a row. Is there something in there to shut off if it's too hot or a low oil level or a low antifreeze level? Or is it an electrical issue? Thanks for any insight as I did not see a thread addressing the aforementioned.

Super Moderator
That I know of there are no sensors to shut the engine off for any of the above reasons.

Does the engine turn over when you hit the start button?

Could you of hit the kill switch right above the starter button?

And what year of Kodiak? It really shouldn't matter but it may help.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Jim thanks for the reply.

1. Know the engine does not kick over when I push the green start button. Nothing happens when the button is pushed.

2. The kill switch was not a factor. Honestly it was the first thing I check because the machine is responding as if the kill switch is on.

3. It is a 2018 Kodiak
Model: yfm700fwb

Each time it happened I was really pushing a bunch of snow the machine with high RPMs..
I did notice in reverse at higher speeds the machine would sputter. Not sure if that would be relevant to the existing problem? Thanks

Super Moderator
For the sputtering in reverse I believe that there is a speed limiter when in reverse.

Check the connections and fuses on the starter relay next to the battery.

Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27鈥 Reptiles, 1鈥 wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
A loose connection would explain the problem starting, but not really explain the shut-off under load.
It really sounds like something electronic overheating. I have had vehicles do that before. And a chainsaw with a carb problem. But not the Kodiak 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔

Grizzled Mod
To confirm what Jim mentioned, yes, for Reverse and when in Diff-lock (assuming yours has Diff-lock) there is a rpm limiter that will not allow above a set RPM. For the Yamaha 700 ATVs, the Diff-lock limiter is roughly at 22mph, I'm not sure when the Reverse limiter is set at, but it does exist.

@Cosmicmunkey , your issue sounds electrical to me and would not be based on a "properly" running Kodiak where a sensor kicked in. In the past around the timeframe of 708cc engine, there was a Service Bulletin for a compression spring replacement. I thought that was resolved prior to 2018 models but I don't recall exactly. You may want to search out info for that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok will do.... It's odd after the machine sits for 15 min, I'll hit the start button and it does right upo..So was off thinking it was an over heating thing shutdown... Gonna check the starter relay fuses got it.
To confirm what Jim mentioned, yes, for Reverse and when in Diff-lock (assuming yours has Diff-lock) there is a rpm limiter that will not allow above a set RPM. For the Yamaha 700 ATVs, the Diff-lock limiter is roughly at 22mph, I'm not sure when the Reverse limiter is set at, but it does exist.

@Cosmicmunkey , your issue sounds electrical to me and would not be based on a "properly" running Kodiak where a sensor kicked in. In the past around the timeframe of 708cc engine, there was a Service Bulletin for a compression spring replacement. I thought that was resolved prior to 2018 models but I don't recall exactly. You may want to search out info for that.
Thanks Red Rocket,I didn't know of that recall, thank you.
I checked the fuses and they were good. However the red and black battery terminals were not fully cranked down. But I don't think that was it...

Grizzled Mod
OK, I had some information a bit wrong. It is the decompression spring where there was a recall. That happened in 2016 and I would have to believe your specific machine should not be impacted by that recall as yours should have left assembly with the updated spring. Anyway, more here if you want to read up on it - RECALL ON DECOMPRESSION SPRING ON CAMSHAFT

Reactions: Cosmicmunkey
1 - 8 of 8 Posts