Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 kodiack eps se with 1000 miles on the odometer.
This problem has happened twice . My machine will suddenly pull hard left , its a fight to bring it back straight, once back straight it will pull hard left again .This goes on for maybe 10 min just idling along trying to get home. Then it went to a jerky pull to the left for another 3 -4 min then it straightened out with just a slight twitch left.
Anyone else have anything similar happen .

·
Registered
575 Posts
I think we can assume that if nothing is broken and your front left tire is normal air pressure, you have a power steering issue. I have not heard of this being a problem before so it will be interesting to hear the follow up. Good luck, I am hoping the dealer will offer free advice on the phone, as to likely cause!

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Holy cow ,Batman......

·
Grizzled Mod
340 Posts
I believe I recall reading once of something very similar that was posted on the Grizzly forum. It is not in anyway common but I believe that user did have a malfunctioning Power Steering unit. You should bring it in to a dealer and have them confirm. The part is not cheap so hopefully you have a warranty that will take care of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply's. Had a chance yesterday to go for another ride , bike rode staight no noticeable pull. Got to jack it up everything seemed tight. Did notice grease stain on my right front boot ,couldnt see any damage just the grease stain. Could it be possible that trouble in the right axle would cause a hard pull right?
Dealer is a 2 hr drive guess I will have to make the trip .

·
Grizzled Mod
340 Posts
What you described in your original post does not seem like a mechanical failure or part going bad. What you describe really seems more like an electronic failure/part going bad. Of all the posts I've read when someone has an axle joint go bad, it is typically clicking because dirt has fouled the joint. That would also indicate the boot has at least a crack allowing dirt/water/mud in.

Raise the front of your ATV and remove the front left wheel. Fully inspect that boot while turning the tire to make absolutely sure there is no crack in the boot. Grease slipping past the banded seal on the boot is not unheard of but typically doesn't happen on the OEM axles. I still would have a hard time believing the axle joint is causing your main issue unless that joint was fully exposed, no boot, and all grease was gone and has been run that way for some time.

Reactions: JD864

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I just read something on the polaris forum about someone having the same type problem.They were talking about maybe one front wheel getting locked in four wheel drive due to bad bearing or bent axle. I looked but can't find the post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree redrocket seems to me if it was mechanical it would be a more consistent problem. I drove a few miles yesterday no pull . A few figures 8's couple little bumps couple straight up and downs.
No water though, thinking back last time it happened I had just came out of a maybe 5 yard long 18-20" deep water hole. I know water and electric dont mix...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. Little update... Over christmas break had a chance to jack up and go over the bike.
Outer cv boot right side bad tear grease gone etc. Got a new boot but once I got the shaft off and got the outer bearing cleaned up noticed a bind every now and then when spinnning the shaft on the bearing , bearing locks up hard one way (must be to the left)
Am I looking at complete new shaft assembly or can the the outer bearing be replaced ? DIY or shop ?
Son remembered seeing some grease on a stump , checked bike over didnt notice at the time ,boot got worst over time ,went from a $20 dollar fix to?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You might be better (off from a time and cost standpoint) buying a new axle assembly.
Update ......cleaned CV joint regreased put new boot on . Reassembled the axle . Been out for a couple of runs all seems well .
So I guess a messed up CV on the right side can give you a pull to the left
Thanks again for all the replies

1 - 15 of 15 Posts