Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any way to make these makes have better throttle response from idle or a crawl? Once it revs it's got plenty of power but it sucks waiting for it to get there. Have grizzley weights and a 1.5mm shim already

·
Registered
530 Posts
Are you still running stock tires? Have you considered a stiffer spring in the secondary?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 27 inch zillas but even with stock it was the same. I've been thinking about throwing a purple spring in the secondary. was wondering if the off idle lag was from it being to lean from factory and would adding a tuner help

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have 26” Zillas, 11” in rear and 9” in front and 1.5mm shim in primary with stock Kodiak weights. I am happy with the throttle response but I will probably eventually add a purple spring. A stiffer spring will help you. I have no experience with tuners but from everything I have read in the forums and seen on the internet a tuner would help you with this also. How do you like the throttle response when in low gear?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in low gear its instant but revs out to quick to ride wheelies and what not. I want it that instant in high gear.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Then try a stiffer spring in the secondary it is supposed to keep you in low gear so to speak longer and it is a lot cheaper than a tuner

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got a gold spring on the way and a ehs tuner coming when eric gets back to me

·
Registered
530 Posts
Let us know what you think of the results once you get them installed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
will do for sure. i use to have a sportsman 850 which i loved the power but the yammy just feels so much better built. it just needs some fine tuning

·
Registered
703 Posts
Any way to make these makes have better throttle response from idle or a crawl? Once it revs it's got plenty of power but it sucks waiting for it to get there. Have grizzley weights and a 1.5mm shim already
Are you sure you didn’t drop weights out of their channels when you reassembled your primary?

Did you keep proper tension on the cam plate to prevent the weights from droping when sliding the primary into position ?

Was your belt all the way up the secondary sheave when you were done? If you answer NO to any of these. Your going to need to start all over again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes to all those. No issues on the clutch. It's been that way since new. Clutching did help alot compared to stock. Now just gonna wait for my secondary and tuner.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The throttle response was better on mine with the stock weights on mine BUT didn't let the engine reach full power. I defiantly feel the power gain @ WOT with 20g Grizzly weights but it takes noticeably more throttle in the low-mid range area and really makes me glad I didn't get the 18g weights. Just installed a 1.5mm shim but haven't really got a feel for it yet as we still have snow on the ground.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The throttle response was better on mine with the stock weights on mine BUT didn't let the engine reach full power. I defiantly feel the power gain @ WOT with 20g Grizzly weights but it takes noticeably more throttle in the low-mid range area and really makes me glad I didn't get the 18g weights. Just installed a 1.5mm shim but haven't really got a feel for it yet as we still have snow on the ground.
from looking at your name are you from northern mn?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts