Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Mid-class Kodiak returns to Yamaha family

Yamaha has been using a single engine in its Utility ATV lineup since the 2015 model year, but that all changes with the introduction of the new 2018 Yamaha Kodiak 450 middleweight ATV.

For the 2016 model year Yamaha decided to put its proven 708cc, single-cylinder engine in both the Grizzly and Kodiak 700 ATVs with the Grizzly acting as the flagship and the new Kodiak as a price-point machine, which prices starting at $6,999.

Check out the review here: http://www.atv.com/manufacturer/yamaha/2018-yamaha-kodiak-450-preview

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nice to see it's a real Yamaha and not a rebranded Chinese pile of crap...

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
I think that the 450 will be a good seller but I think that it would of been better if they would of came out with a 500 or 550. At least that is what I was really looking for when I picked up my 2016 with the 700.

There are a lot of riders out there like me that don't need all the power in the world but like enough to be able to do what we want.

My old 2000 Kodiak with the 400 was almost enough in the engine department but another 100 cc's would of been ideal.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I would assume the eps model will have diff lock? The 700 eps should have came with it as well. Having to buy an se for diff lock is a rip off. I don't want flashy wheels or shiny paint on an atv.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
I have always figured that there are a few things that need to be on their base models.

Starting with either a hour meter or a odometer. All the maintenance is based off of hours or miles and if you are like me and put a lot of miles on your machine not having either is a pain in the rear.

On the diff lock, while it would be nice to have I have never really been in a situation where I needed one. I have been where it would be nice to have but not needed.

It will be interesting to see just what the new machine has on it for the consumer or if we will have to go to the aftermarket parts houses to get what we really want.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't see enough price difference for this to make sense. The base 450 is only $1k (USD, of course) cheaper than the base 700. When financing this would only make a difference of a few dollars a month. Maybe if they got rid of the base 700 and made the EPS model the point of entry to the 700 club to make the gap a little bigger...

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
They also don't say what options the base 450 is going to have such as speedometer/digital gauges or if it will be like the base 700 with nothing.

Then they also don't say what the 450 EPS's price is going to be. There is a lot of information that is left out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was at the dealer on Monday to pick up my bike from its first service. When I got there they had a new 450 there, I looked it over, a fair amount smaller size wise then the 700. When I was looking at it I thought what a nice size for my wife. I went inside and talked to a sales guy, he told me 8800 Canadian funds for the eps and 8000 for the base model, I only paid 7400 for my 700 base model. He told me that the 2018 kodiak 700 and grizzly are going to take a huge jump in price to spread the gap between the 450 and 700. I am some glad that I got mine when I did.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
I was actually surprised that when I was looking at machines last January that the price was as low as it was. My 2000 Kodiak 400 was around $6K US and the 2016 base model was listed for only $6999 and discounted down to $6400 for a 2016 at the first of the year when I looked at them at the dealer.

I was really surprised that the difference is price between the Kodiak 700 and the Grizzly.

On the size I am just guessing but I would imagine that the new 450 will be about the same size as the old 400 which really isn't very much smaller than the 700. The 700 is a inch or so wider and a couple inches longer over my old 2000

1 - 12 of 12 Posts