Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Kodiak will not run when I engage the differential lock. It does not kill, but will not idle up or increase engine speed and will not climb a hill, and barely will move on level ground.

Anyone have an idea what that is?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Mine takes a few seconds to fully engage, and if I try to go too soon the bike computer prevents power from being applied like a rev limiter of 100 over idle so I give it a few seconds then make sure it's ready before starting a climb.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, I will give that a try. I have tried it for over a minute, with no improvement. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
344 Posts
After you place the lock on it try waiting a few seconds then place it in reverse and give a slight throttle, stop then put it into H or L and see if that helps. Another thing to try is adding the lock while in Neutral.
If doing that stuff doesn't get things clicked in I'd take it to a good dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine was the same way, neutral or park, let it sit for a couple seconds and then you will hear it engage. I noticed if I was on a hill, it would take a little longer and a little throttle. In lock it isn't going to haul @ss either.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
After you place the lock on it try waiting a few seconds then place it in reverse and give a slight throttle, stop then put it into H or L and see if that helps. Another thing to try is adding the lock while in Neutral.
If doing that stuff doesn't get things clicked in I'd take it to a good dealer.
What he said.. Usually all it takes is a slight bump of the throttle as long as your wheels are pointed straight and there is no load or bind on the front end.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FYI. The hesitation to lock up the differential, in improving, but it has taken as long as two minutes. Today it took two seconds.

·
Super Moderator
679 Posts
sometimes, a slight jiggle of the handlebars side to side is all it takes to go from flashing to fully engaged. the diff only needs to move very little for the locker to slide in

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think the reason why these machines have trouble going into diff lock mode is because the axels need to be in just the right spot to get it to engage. So here are some things that may help that: 1-move the handlebars back and fourth with the machine stationary. 2-turn the wheels slightly while slowly moving forwards. 3-do a combination of both 1 and 2.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I have been trying to get this to lock up faster, sometimes it is a few seconds and sometimes almost a minute. Thanks for the input!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts