Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2018 Kodiak computer

In conjuction with the tragic breakdown of my brand new 2018 Kodiak 700 EPS SE I got an suprising message from my dealer. Apart from that the engine was severley damaged inside with metal debris etc, they told me that they had read out the fault and data parameters from the engine controller.
Some of these were "really strange and worrying" the dealer told me, and was also one of the reasosns for Yamaha to take the drastic decition to replace the whole engine.

Well, I know that many veicles today have computers controlling particulary the fuel injection system, the ignition etc etc. On cars you can access this data more or less difficult by the so called ODBII connection. Some of the data is easy reachable and some is more deep in the system.

Now to my question. Does the Kodiak have an connection to read out parameters and failure codes from this "computer"??
Where is the connector located and what software tools do you need to be able to see it??

Anyone??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is there really no one outthere that knows anything about the "motor control computer" and how to read out failure codes frpm it?

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
I did some investigating and from what I found only Yamaha has the software to read the codes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, finally some who has any knowledge of this.
To start with JimP, where is the connection and what sort of connection is it . I guess not an ODBII anyway.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
I have no idea of where the connection is located at. I would suppose that it is in the battery compartment.

If you do a search for "Yamaha Diagnostic Tool" you will come up with scanners but they are costly and none of them say that they will actually work on the Kodiak's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not sure but I was poking around the battery compartment of mine the other day and saw a 3 prong connector on the left side of the battery compartment that didn't appear to be a normal connnector. It was right inline with the shifter. I was thinking positive, negative and a ground but it's probably the 3 prong OBD connection.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
From what I have seen on the connector for Yamaha outboard motors I would say that what MonkeyBomb found is the correct connector to read the data, now just what reader do we need.

Perhaps a trip to a Yamaha dealer to talk to a mechanic would enlighten us. I do have a list of trouble codes and what they mean once you obtain them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts