Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a brand new 2018 kodiak 700 base model (red) in 2018.Have virtually not ridden the thing hardly at all.Maybe 150 miles tops.It sits in a shop for the most part except for one week during sept on annual bowhunting trip and a weekend of riding a little here and there.No hard riding at all we are in our late 50's and just ride around pretty much.
We went on a game camera deploying weekend trip a couple weeks ago,while coming back i was going slow behind my wife on her atv.I heard a loud metallic clicking sound,it sound like a methodical rotational type sound.I immediately shut it down.I put it in neutral and rolled it back and forth,sound was still there and seemed to come from directly below the seat.I took it to a local dealership and they had it for almost two weeks and called me and told me they were going to have to dig deeper into it and my $129.00 diagnostic fee shot up to $490.00. I asked the guy what he thought the problem was he said i have no idea but its in the transmission and that means it could cost you a couple grand to get it fixed.Uh..No Thanks..The warranty expired i did not buy extended warranty.Anybody have an idea what it might be ?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Rough luck.

If it were me, I'd bring it to a small/hole in the wall shop that charges much less than a dealer. In my area, they're everywhere.

Lots of times, the guys that own those shops.. or even do the work out of their home garage.. worked at a dealer for years and left because dealers really don't like to pay their service techs enough.

Alternatively.. Buy the service manual, buy 50$ in wrenches ratchets and sockets from harbor freight and have at it!

Its an intimidating task for someone with little experience to do such things, but that's why you have the manual. Even if you only get it disassembled to the point where you can identify the problem, then pay someone who knows better fix&reassemble.. you've saved money.. AND gained experience.

Good luck.

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya...That workin on bikes stuff is in my past i have a messed up back so that leaves me out.I have everything to fix it tool wise....I actually tracked the sound down yesterday.It comes from the short driveline that goes from the trans to the rear diff and its coming from within the cover on the trans end.I think there are a bunch of teeth meshed together thats what it sounds like or maybe a bearing thats missing some balls or something.I will take that off if my back does not freeze up on me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts