Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this machine in Aug.for hunting and plowing snow. 2 weeks ago it barely started to load it on trailer to go hunting and again when I unloaded it once I got home. Its been garaged since and wouldn't turn over this am when I went to unload it from trailer. Battery was @ 59% so I charged it completely but it still wouldn't start and ERR 1 flashed on display. Any tips before I bring it in to a shop that charges $180/hr labor will b greatly appreciated

·
Registered
523 Posts
Will it start with jumper cables ? Did you retest the battery after it was charged ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Try with jump start cables. If it isn't turning over there might be an issue with the starter. Many starters on the 708 engine are delivered with faulty electric starters. You can search in this forum for more info and pictures. But normally this is preceded by an whiniing noise from the starter...but that can be hard to hear....

·
Grizzled Mod
348 Posts
If it isn't turning over there might be an issue with the starter. Many starters on the 708 engine are delivered with faulty electric starters.
Although this is true and something that should be checked, @Aanakwad did say in the original post that the display flashed a Er-1. I don’t recall reading anyone with a failed starter having that error code flash on their display. However, maybe this one is the exception.

Aanakwad, go to 501parts.com/downloads, scroll to the bottom and click on the appropriate Service Manual. There you can find troubleshooting information in the last section.

Er-1 ECU (Engine Control Unit) internal malfunction (output signal error): signals cannot be trans- mitted between the ECU and the multi-function meter.

Does your battery charger specifically test load? If not, take the battery to an auto-parts store and have it load tested. Charging it or checking voltage does not tell you if the battery is holding Amps, load testing is the only true measure of that. Also, clean all battery/starter/chassis ground terminals and reconnect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts