Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife just bought herself a ride! 100 hours, 600 (probably rough) miles. Changing out all fluids, right front shock showed oil leakage. Don't know squat about this stuff, but I do know there shouldn't be 30 lbs of dirt packed between the skid plate and innards..... :)

Service manual shows 5 things be removed before the shock (OEM) can be changed out. Is this really necessary?

Do I need to compress the spring to remove and install? Can't find much on internet... and so here I am.

Super Moderator
I'm not sure if you can get tools into the area to remove the shock without pulling everything else or not.

I had to remove mine when I did the front locker and it isn't that bad pulling the spindle and getting to the A arm if you have to.

If you can get the A arm to flex down then you shouldn't have to compress the spring on the shock. If not you might have a fight on your hands. With all the weight taken off of the axle it should flex down to where the spring is relaxed.

Registered
Wife just bought herself a ride! 100 hours, 600 (probably rough) miles. Changing out all fluids, right front shock showed oil leakage. Don't know squat about this stuff, but I do know there shouldn't be 30 lbs of dirt packed between the skid plate and innards..... :)

Service manual shows 5 things be removed before the shock (OEM) can be changed out. Is this really necessary?

Do I need to compress the spring to remove and install? Can't find much on internet... and so here I am.
jack the front end up, take tire off and loosen the nuts and bolts holding the shock in place.
the shock should come off and no spring compression needed, its all one unit.
gravy job///i have changed a few of them

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jack the front end up, take tire off and loosen the nuts and bolts holding the shock in place.
the shock should come off and no spring compression needed, its all one unit.
gravy job///i have changed a few of them
Yes it did, thanks. The trouble is this is supposed to be a 2018, according to the title. There is no frame sticker on it, tho, so I cannot double check the vin #. The OEM shock that I ordered is not what is on there ! The parts people (Partzilla) ran the part # off my shocks and claim that the ones on the machine were not put on the 2018 - only on the 16,17, and 19! These are adjustable pre-load shocks , the OEM I received is fixed. Why the heck would they do that????

Or maybe the previous owner swapped them out. Or the title/year model is not matched, is what I suspect. Or this one was early/late in the year and it came from the factory that way. I'll call previous owner to find if they switched the shocks out- they had done some other mods to it- winch, low gear mode, grip heaters, etc.

Oh well, it's going back and I'll put one on to match the other 3 preloads.

Thanks again.

Registered
Yes it did, thanks. The trouble is this is supposed to be a 2018, according to the title. There is no frame sticker on it, tho, so I cannot double check the vin #. The OEM shock that I ordered is not what is on there ! The parts people (Partzilla) ran the part # off my shocks and claim that the ones on the machine were not put on the 2018 - only on the 16,17, and 19! These are adjustable pre-load shocks , the OEM I received is fixed. Why the heck would they do that????

Or maybe the previous owner swapped them out. Or the title/year model is not matched, is what I suspect. Or this one was early/late in the year and it came from the factory that way. I'll call previous owner to find if they switched the shocks out- they had done some other mods to it- winch, low gear mode, grip heaters, etc.

Thanks again.
the pre-load adjustable shock is a better shock.
you have options for a firmer or softer ride depending on what you do.
may want to change both being the good one has taken all the abuse with one bad shock.
probably not necessary but i would...glad you got it!!!

Super Moderator

Thanks again.
First and foremost you should replace both if one shock is busted the other one has been taking most of the beating and is likely to show its end of life very soon also.

I myself own a 2018 700 Kodiak SE and I can tell you that it does have five position adjustable preload shocks all the way around it. If yours doesn't, then it's most likely a base model. The EPS and EPS SE have adjustable shocks. Do yourself a favor and get 1 more front.
Whoever you talked to at partzilla didn't know what they were talking about. I even just looked it up to confirm before typing this. The same shocks were used on 2016 to 2021 kodiaks depending on model being a base or an EPS/SE.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts