Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2108 Kodiak 700, If I leave it setting longer than a week the battery will be dead. I replaced the battery with top of the line battery and it still drains. I do have a power commander , winch, and led light on this machine but there doesn't seem to be any drain coming from them. Anyone else have any issue such as this. It sorta seems like the solenoid is acting funny. Checking with a meter with the master switch off I get a little voltage on both sides of the solenoid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
473 Posts
There should be no voltage drop across your solenoid, what is that voltage? Is it possible your solenoid got water in it? Is it possible that the control wires to the solenoid are where you have the drop, check for an issue with them. Also just curious, what battery did you buy and what did it cost?

·
Registered
703 Posts
You can investigate any potential amp draw from your battery by placing a multimeter set to max AMP reading , in SERIES between your negative battery post and ground wire.

DO NOT turn your bike on or run any accessories while doing this as you will FRY your multimeter.

Reactions: Hondroid

·
Super Moderator
98 Posts
Do all your devices (power commander, winch contactor and LED light) only energize by way of switched power? If any one of those are directly powered by the battery, change them to switched power.

Reactions: john zane and JimP

·
Registered
26 Posts
That condition is referred to as a 'parasitic draw'. Basically, something on your machine is drawing current while the key is turned off. If you have any add on accessories, that's where you should look first. Rather than explain how to do the test, there are many youtube videos showing step by step how to trouble shoot a parasitic draw issue. It's pretty simple if you understand basic electronics. You do need a digital multi meter, not analogue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There should be no voltage drop across your solenoid, what is that voltage? Is it possible your solenoid got water in it? Is it possible that the control wires to the solenoid are where you have the drop, check for an issue with them. Also just curious, what battery did you buy and what did it cost?
Hello TRW thanks for your reply. To my knowledge the solenoid hasn't been wet. It just seems odd that with the master switch off, from the ground on the battery I get voltage on both sides of the solenoid. Although the switched side is less. I installed the Renegade RG20L-WS 12volt 20 Ah Wicked start 500+ cca battery.

·
Registered
473 Posts
That voltage is likely feed back from somewhere. The ideal way to test that would be to be sure there are no other wires connected to the solenoid. But I can tell you that the issue is not likely the solenoid. As I think you know the solenoid has no continuity when it is not engaged. When you get a reading like you describe that voltage is coming from somewhere else. One way to find out what is draining the battery is to disconnect wires in any circuit you suspect, under low light, and look for a spark. Your electronic dash will use power at a very low level keeping track of the time for example, that draw is not going to cause you a problem in several months. Do you have heated handles or water in one of your lights? Dirty areas that get wet around any connection or damaged wire might drain the battery. One last thought, it is possible that the issue is somewhere in the charging circuit, that is not likely and rare, but possible. Good luck with it.

Good info on that battery, I had not been able to find one with that CCA

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hey Leadfoot or anyone who tried the Renegade RG20L-WS 12volt 20 Ah Wicked start 500+ cca battery, How is it doing? That is an expensive battery, but I am looking for the best I can get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts