Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a thread to list and discuss the Kodiak 700 model year 2018 changes/updates.

The change most important to me is replacing the lever-activated 4x4 and no front diff lock with the yamaha on command electric pushbutton 4x4 with diff lock. Yes you could get that on the kodiak 700 before, but only on the Special Edition (SE) and the SE was not previously available in camo, which is the color I wanted.

The non-EPS is the only griz 700 that retains the lever activated 4x4 rather than puch button. Even the new kodiak 450 has push button 4x4 (but no diff lock).

So for me, the wait paid off. The EPS (non-SE) has electric shift 4x4 and diff lock and is available in camo. Also comes with black aluminum wheels, which i don't care either way. MSRP is same as the SE.

Besides the changes in colors and the 4x4 shift system, anyone know other things that have changed?

I will be talking to two or three dealers in the next week and ordering. For me, it was worth the wait!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The 2018 Kodiak EPS model doesn't come with alu wheels. Only steel rims.
The 2018 EPS does come with aluminum wheels depending on which color you get. They are the black aluminum wheels vs the clearcoated ones, but are aluminum. You can see the black aluminum wheels in the pictures. The only 700 EPS that has steel wheels is the Hunter Green. Camo and grey both have aluminum wheels just like the 2018 SE. And both the SE and EPS have pushbutton 4x4 this year. Only the plain 700 is lever activated and still has no dif lock.

From the yamaha website..

Kodiak 700 EPS SE
MSRP*
$9,099 - Tactical Black w/Aluminum Wheels - Available From June 2017
$9,099 - Silver Metallic w/Aluminum Wheels - Available From June 2017

Kodiak 700 EPS
MSRP*
$9,099 - Realtree Xtra w/Aluminum Wheels - Available From July 2017
$8,699 - Armor Grey w/Aluminum Wheels - Available From August 2017
$8,499 - Hunter Green - Available From July 2017

Kodiak 700
MSRP*
$7,449 - Realtree Xtra - Available From June 2017
$6,999 - Hunter Green - Available From June 2017
$6,999 - Red - Available From June 2017

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wouldn't want a fourwheeler with a push button 4wd... if it gets wet and shorts you don't have 4wd drive anymore. I'll stick with my lever activated for now

·
Super Moderator
1,254 Posts
I wouldn't want a fourwheeler with a push button 4wd... if it gets wet and shorts you don't have 4wd drive anymore. I'll stick with my lever activated for now
I rode my 2000 Kodiak 400 through all kinds of conditions. From hot to freezing cold, rain, snow, mud, and water and I never did have a problem with the push button 4x4 switch.

You could also say the same with a cable system. What if the cable broke or how about if it froze up inside the housing? I have had that happen on cables that run through a outer sheath when riding in the water and sand. They were stuck so bad that I had to completely disassemble the cables and rout out the dirt and grime that was inside it before it would work again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The 4X4 cable froze several times on my Kodiak, thankfully it froze in 4WD mode. Nice thing about electric 4X4 is that everything is sealed from the weather.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordered my 2018 Kodiak 700 EPS Realtree Xtra w/Aluminum Wheels on July 11. Though the Yamaha website says these particular ones will be "Available From July 2017", my dealer still does not have a build date. Trying to be patient. I might call a couple other dealerships to cross check the dates they are hearing.

Regarding the electric vs lever, I've never had issues with electric pushbutton shifts on my past Yamahas (or any other brand) and not heard of any issues first or second hand. I have had more problems with cables in my life than electronics. And lever activated kodiaks don't have front diff lock which is important to me so for me, it'll be a pushbutton. Even the new kodiak 450 are pushbutton, so I would expect that all Kodiak 700 are pushbutton next year if for no other reason than for assembly line efficiency and parts consolidation and support.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts