Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Kodiak 450 that does not go slow enough. It takes a lot of throttle pressure to get it moving and then the slowest I can get it down to is 9km/h. It is a pig to get going forward and reverse is just as bad. This has been a problem snice the first day I purchased it. The only upgrade I did was 26” ITP Mud Lite when I purchased it.

I talked with the dealership about the problem. Told them I am comparing it to 2007 & 2008 Kodiak 450 with 26” ITP Mud Lite tires that I also have. Both of these quads take almost no throttle to get going and can creep along at 4km/h. A little bit back and forth and they say that Yamaha has tried to smooth out the power so it is not so jerky and that is why I lost the low end speed. They recommended a clutch kit when I bring it in for my next service.

Fast forward, dealership got bought out, new personal running the show and cannot answer my questions and told me to call EPI Performance for more information on clutch kits. Called EPI and told them my problem and asked them which clutch kit would give the best results. They told me a clutch kit will not get my speed down as the clutch engagement would increase 500RPM therefore I would be going even faster.

I have thought about dropping back down to 25” tires but an atv like this should have no problem spinning these tires at low speeds.

Does anyone have experience with this? Will changing clutch weights and adding shims help? Looking for any recommendations.

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
I believe that the correct clutch kit will get you moving at a lower RPM and may take care of your problem.

I have no problem at all on my Kodiak getting going and then just putting around at 4mph/6.5kmh and mine is all stock as far as the clutch.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Sounds like your primary sheave may have a dropped weights. Open her up and inspect. Its possible someone went in there and botched the reassembly of your primary. Either way a thorough inspection is required before spending any money on hopefull quick fixes.

Heck my stock 2019 Grizzly can put along at a slow 3 km/h in high range.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I agree with Vincent, and for $3-$12 you could add 1.5-2mm of shims which would do a lot for your problem with the bigger tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I did read your thread on shims and it good information.

I will disassemble and have a look at it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
When you remove you plastic cvt cover, your belt should be all the way down the primary, and all the way up the secondary sheave. (See picture) If this is not observed, a weight has fallen out of its channel.

If everything is as I first described, place the bike in neutral, start it and rev it up. Then observe the cvt belt as it shifts back and forth threw it ratio changes. It should shift smoothly from low ratio to high and back to low smoothly

Attachments

Reactions: john zane

·
Registered
491 Posts
Did you get any shims to install while you have it apart? They are definitely worth trying to see if they help. They should, this is one of the things we do to help with larger tires. And as far as the slow speed issue, does the idle seem high? My 700 doesn’t move in gear with out throttle. Have you ever put oil in it that is not wet-clutch compatible?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I have gotten any shims. Do not know where to get them. Need to start looking online.

My idle is fine, no higher than my 2007 & 2008.

This 2018 only has 254kms on it, as no one wants to use it, so we have not added or changed any fluids on it yet. It is still pretty much brand new

·
Registered
191 Posts
eBay has the shims, if it were me i would also install a epi blue secondary spring. I did in my 01 -400 & 04 -450 with 1mm of shim . It made a noticeable difference in low end.

·
Registered
491 Posts
JBS performance has shims. JBS Performance | SXS Custom Built for Yahama Kawasaki Arctic Cat
You definitely have something wrong. Do you have anyone with 25” tires you could do a quick swap with to try and see if it makes any difference? Maybe even your dealer would let you try a set off a used bike around their parking lot so you can see if it is different. Is your breaks dragging or throttle sticking?? Just fishing now but worth looking at.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are these shims suppose to be paper thin? I had the machine shop when I work make me some out of sheet stock we had lying around. All the shims are 0.25mm thick and I put 4 together to get to 1mm(stack on the right in the picture). Most of the videos I have watched it looked like they were putting a shim on with good thickness to it, like 1/8 inch.

I thought I would try this out before ordering the proper ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
613 Posts
Should work fine....

Reactions: KodiakAfishyo

·
Registered
191 Posts
Are these shims suppose to be paper thin? I had the machine shop when I work make me some out of sheet stock we had lying around. All the shims are 0.25mm thick and I put 4 together to get to 1mm(stack on the right in the picture). Most of the videos I have watched it looked like they were putting a shim on with good thickness to it, like 1/8 inch.

I thought I would try this out before ordering the proper ones.
I wouldn’t buy other shims they should work just fine.

Reactions: KodiakAfishyo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update....
I installed 4 shims last night for a total of 1mm. Re-assembled and did a test drive on the pavement street. I can now achieve 2km/h but 3km/h is where it is happy at. Even reversing up the driveway was so easy and took almost no throttle. I will test further this weekend at the cabin. Thanks for the help and comments.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Good to here your making progress.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Spend $25 and order a blue secondary spring. You’ll like it ...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Or get a 550 spring threw Yamaha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts