Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts
Good to hear from you, and I have no idea on the 450 page, but this is the Kodiak forum so it works for me. Sorry you had to go through this all, and I wish it was a complete happy situation for you, but glad you are accepting it. Hope all your other challenges are improving also. I am glad you found someone who was polite and willing to listen, that is a step forward!

Have some patience friends! I'm not the hit it and quit it type! For real though, been insanely busy with work, weddings, sickness, sick cat, you know.... (when it rains it pours).

Sorry to be getting back to you so late on this. I do have an update, but wanted to think clearly about how I would move forward.

Still nothing from Yamaha corporate, however, I filled out the dealer survey that was emailed to me and they ended up getting back to me. I was honest, didn't bash the dealer, but clearly stated what I was frustrated about. The head of service called me over the phone and wanted to make it right (at least in their books). I thoroughly and politely articulated my complaint about Yamaha not addressing the issue. He was also polite this entire time, although, he said his tech told him he could get the machine to repeat the error on command, or not have the error at all AND that the floor model did the same thing. In the politest way I could, I told him that was completely false on both counts. His next approach, and I appreciate this very much, was to get him, a Yamaha regional representative, and myself with the machine all together to give it an overview. But, he made it clear that he would have the tech explain to me that this is how they work (then why invite me down if that's all you intend to do? to satisfy the books?). At the same time, I was receiving multiple comments from others on the Youtubes that this was normal (what the tech and service counter employee both told me). Many people commented that this was the centrifugal clutch, though I believe it could be another shaft inside there (I'm no expert, obviously). So, after MUCH thought, I decided not to revisit the dealer. I don't want to drag the machine down there just for them to explain to me this is how it works and send me off. I'm still not super happy that I have to feather the throttle into motion every single time just to save the transmission from excessive engagement, but I'll live with it. I've adjusted my driving style to worse machines. I'm not mad, sad, or ticked and I realize I'm choosing this path, so I must deal with the consequences. In the end, I think (hope?) it'll be fine over the long term, it's just a big pill to swallow after spending that kind of cash.

So, onward and upward. I'll just try to be happy with it.

I cannot say how much I appreciate everyone's eagerness to help me. It truly meant a lot. Not everybody has vast experience with transmissions, Yamaha corporate, dealerships, etc, so tapping into this network and not getting bullied out has been refreshing.

I've made an "overview" video of the 450 discussing my likes, dislikes, etc with the intention of informing others about this great little quad. I'll post that and many other related videos on this site so hopefully other folks can make more informed decisions in the future.

Thank you again everyone for the help - I certainly came out of this smarter ( i think...) and I fully intend to pay it back however I can.

***Any way we can setup a 450 page? I feel bad posting all this 450 stuff in the 700 section....****
Just a thought and I'm sure you ve already considered this, but I you considered simply trading in your 450 at the same dealership for a EPS 700 kodiaks? Atleast then it will be their BS issue and no longer yours.

Just a thought and I'm sure you ve already considered this, but I you considered simply trading in your 450 at the same dealership for a EPS 700 kodiaks? Atleast then it will be their BS issue and no longer yours.
I have thought about that, quite a bit actually. But, like with trading in cars, I know i'd lose a LOT of money on the trade in. So, the juice isn't quite worth the squeeze at this point. The 450 will still do everything I need it to, with ease. And I'm just grateful to have a modern, well built machine that allows me to have some fun and get some work done on my property. Also, I will never give this dealership any more money whatsoever. They weren't terrible, but they don't deserve my business - they're a high volume type of a place. For context, in order to get this quad, I just sold a much-loved 1998 Kawasaki Prairie 400 4x4 (for $1,700!!!) that was SOOO good to me, so this 450 feels like a spaceship to me, lol. The intention is to keep this Kodiak 450 for another 20+ years - I want my non-existent kids to learn riding on it. Basically, I can get emotionally attached to these four-wheeled machines, it's just my nature; and I'd prefer to start off the relationship as love at first site - if I may be so cheesy.

In the end, it isn't a huge deal. Just lessons learned.... gotta move on and enjoy the little beast.

Hey guys, I have a 2020 Kodiak 450 EPS. Since the day I bought it, it sort of "lurches" or "jerks" when you first accelerate. It's at a very low rpm, when the clutches engage, you can feel it sort of "grab" and then it drives like normal. No abnormal sounds or anything, just a consistent and somewhat abrupt engagement and I'm wondering if this is on all the 450s. I have ridden many other CVT-equipped quads, mostly kawasaki and polaris, but this is my first Yamaha with a CVT.

Any insight is appreciated. My next step is to go to the dealer and see if the other 450s on the lot do the same thing. If not, time for some warranty work.

Cheers!
I bought a new19 Kodiak 450 that does that a little bit but probably not as bad as yours. I'm concerned about a clicking noise that lasts for a second or two when I shift from high to low. I am completely stopped with my foot on the rear brake pedal which barely keeps the quad from moving. I adjusted the pedal slightly so it works better. Seems like everyone complains about the rear pedal tension. The rear hand brake is just ok. Can anyone explain the momentary clicking noise I hear. I don't believe it involves reverse at all. And it only does this on occasion. My 6 month warranty ended in December. Luckily, I don't have to shift into low very often. Can anyone explain what I hear. Overall, I like the quad but have reservations.

I bought a new19 Kodiak 450 that does that a little bit but probably not as bad as yours. I'm concerned about a clicking noise that lasts for a second or two when I shift from high to low. I am completely stopped with my foot on the rear brake pedal which barely keeps the quad from moving. I adjusted the pedal slightly so it works better. Seems like everyone complains about the rear pedal tension. The rear hand brake is just ok. Can anyone explain the momentary clicking noise I hear. I don't believe it involves reverse at all. And it only does this on occasion. My 6 month warranty ended in December. Luckily, I don't have to shift into low very often. Can anyone explain what I hear. Overall, I like the quad but have reservations.
This is a 2 year old thread, please pay attention to the dates.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.