Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 18 Kodiak 450 EPS SE and when I go on some websites, they want to know if I have the YFM45KPAJS or YFM45KPXJG or YFM45KPHJF.

How do I figure out what I have?

What is the difference?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Look up your vin # and that will tell you . It’s the long number/ letters on youre title/ certificate of origin.

·
Registered
530 Posts
What Rob-c said will get you what your looking for. The difference is Yamaha made 3 different Kodiak 450 models like a base model with no power steering or gauges and up to a fully loaded model. Similar to the 3 models of the 700...base, EPS & EPS SE

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
The vin number isn't going to give you that much information. When I checked my vin number on a couple different web sites one said that I had a 350cc engine and the other said that the vin was for a Yamaha Rino.

If you purchased it from a dealer they should have the model number on your paperwork and like KodiakAfishyo said it depends on the trim that you have. With yours being a EPS Se it is the highest one I believe as far as what optional parts were conserned

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My VIN does not match what yamahapart.com lists for options or what bikebandit.com lists for options. I'll have to dig out my paperwork and see what I can learn. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Try this vin look up . I just did my 17. And this is what came up -2017 YFM700FWBD eps / kodiak , it was built in Newman Georgia plant . I have done many older atv’s I bought and has always worked for me.

Reactions: FacetiousKC

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
It still doesn't give the model number for some reason.

FacetiousKC, if your paper work doesn't say anything about the model number just use YFM45KPXJG

The differences in the models are as was mentioned above but as long as you get the higher end model number you will be fine in purchasing parts.

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
That is a little bit better but it still does not give the model number.

It did give me
It looks like you have a 2016 Yamaha YFM700FWB/ Kodiak

But my model is a YMF70KDXGG for ordering parts.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
I had a pic, but posted wrong one, will go try to find the correct one

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Rob-c both websites you linked worked to bring up the year and make but again, no model. I'll have to dig through storage to find my papers. Thanks for the links!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@JimP I will use the model you suggested until I figure mine out. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
For parts and 99% of any and all aftermarket items it really doesn't matter what the model number is since the higher ends one just have more options and parts from the higher end models fit the lower end models. That is except for the instrument cluster and a few other things that the lower end ones don't have.

I actually have quite a few parts from a EPS model on my base model and they fit just like they are suppose to.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
Yes the last letters in the modle # only differentiate between base, eps, eps se, and hunter/camo package. In most cases, the only parts that are different are the power steering, 4x4 & diff lock, 3rd headlight & instrument cluster, plastics, shocks and rim type. As for your engine parts, suspension (except shocks), main drivetrain, that will all be the same. Almost all accessories will work across all modules, although for an example, most windshields have provision for 3rd headlight, advertised look a bit strange on a bike with our that light, but it still fits fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That makes sense @CanadianKodiak700
Not to change the subject but, I didn't think lockers were optional on the 450's. Fully locked rear and open front is how mine seems to react.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
That makes sense @CanadianKodiak700
Not to change the subject but, I didn't think lockers were optional on the 450's. Fully locked rear and open front is how mine seems to react.
You can get the base with no diff lock, or step to the eps se and you get push button front diff lock

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can get the base with no diff lock, or step to the eps se and you get push button front diff lock
I have the 2018 450. No diff lock option was available that year to my knowledge. I'm wondering if the 2020 diff lock would work on my 2018. According to parts sites, part #'s are the same for some things up front between 2018 and 2020. But I may ask the forum in a new post because of the subject change.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
I asked Steve at 501 Parts if he had a diff lock for the 450 and he said that there are some differences with the front end to where it wasn't going to be just a bolt in fix like it was on the 700's

Back when I had my 2000 400 there were times that I could of used the diff lock but I really never needed it to get out of problems. Now if you are doing a lot of rock climbing or riding through 2' deep mud pits you might.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I don't ride mud pits, and use diff lock frequently. Saves me from winching 2/3 of the time. It's an awesome feature to have.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
I will admit that it is a real nice option to have. That is why I put one into my base model Kodiak.

I will never plan on using it but it is nice to know that it is there if needed.

Come to think of it I have used it when plowing snow and have dropped one tire off a sidewalk edge. I used to have to get the truck out and pull my Kodiak out but now with the diff lock I can back it right out

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts