Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, hoping someone here might have some idea how I can get my 450 up and running again. I cut a pile of wood and it’s getting wet.

Anyway, it would not power up yesterday. No power to the display, no fuel pump, no ECU, nothing. In the previous days it had been acting weird, and generally acting weird this season. What had been happening in previous days:

• display was turning on during battery charging with the key off
  • bike would not power up, but wiggling fuses and actuating the rear brake would allow it to power up
  • one day using the brakes would kill the motor - some sort of electrical issue
  • now it won’t power up at all. The winch turns and the battery is strong, but it won’t power up at all. I tried wiggling and cleaning couplings in the harness, but still nothing. I suspect there is maybe a bad ground somewhere or a bad connection or a fault in a harness. It feels like it should be a simple fix, but I’m stumped.
I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas or if there are common electrical issues for this year that I don’t know about.

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
It does sound like a bad ground to me.

You may need to look online and find a repair manual that may or may not tell you where the grounds are. With a lot being plastic I would start looking at the ground wires going to the display, but I have no idea of what wires it would be.

Good luck with it.

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
You can also run a temporary ground strap to different locations and see if anything improves. A small set of jumper cables, or even a stranded wire from the ground terminal on the battery will work.

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
Glad you got it figured out.

Reactions: Laserwolf

·
Registered
228 Posts
It ended up being a faulty (aftermarket) main switch, as well as a questionable engine ground.
I wish more would come back and post their fix, to help others out that may have had similar issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right?

I ended up temporarily jury rigging in the switch from a parts snowmobile I had around. The bike switch joins the hot (red) to the two other wires when it closes. So I wyed the two other wires into a bullet connector and then connected the hot and the pair to the two wires that close when the sled switch is on. Normally this powers the sled brake lights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts