Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have an issue with my 2017 Yamaha Kodiak EPS. I keep replacing my headlight bulbs and they keep burning out WAY prematurely. I am wondering what the problem could be since the headlight switch did get replaced once under warranty because of the same issue. However, before, this would happen with one headlight bulb at a time. Now both of my headlights are both burning out what seems to be simultaneous. I am wondering if the headlight switch is going out again or if the source is coming from a different issue, like the rectifier or a relay of some sort. It is so weird that the lights work perfectly fine when the brights are enabled on the switch, or at least for now. The low beam halogens are completely burnt and you could see the blackness inside the bulb, like it is receiving too much voltage or something. I am not really familiar with how electronics work such as this. PLEASE give me some insight of what this could be. Much appreciated,
Lucas Bernardi. :)

Super Moderator
There are a few things that will kill lights or make them burn out prematurely.

One is over voltage. Have you taken a volt meter and measured the voltage at the battery? You may also have to add a meter so that you can watch it to see if it does spike as you are riding.

I doubt that it would be the switch.

Registered
Also check your socket鈥檚 for the bulb鈥檚, do they look burnt or melted, bulb fits loosely. A loose bulb in the socket bouncing around making contact then not would blow a bulb.

Reactions: Blmpkn

Registered
Also, ensure your not touching the glass on the bulb when your installing them. Skin grease will create a Hotspot on the bulb which can/will cause the filament to burn out.

Registered
Hello all, I have an issue with my 2017 Yamaha Kodiak EPS. I keep replacing my headlight bulbs and they keep burning out WAY prematurely. I am wondering what the problem could be since the headlight switch did get replaced once under warranty because of the same issue. However, before, this would happen with one headlight bulb at a time. Now both of my headlights are both burning out what seems to be simultaneous. I am wondering if the headlight switch is going out again or if the source is coming from a different issue, like the rectifier or a relay of some sort. It is so weird that the lights work perfectly fine when the brights are enabled on the switch, or at least for now. The low beam halogens are completely burnt and you could see the blackness inside the bulb, like it is receiving too much voltage or something. I am not really familiar with how electronics work such as this. PLEASE give me some insight of what this could be. Much appreciated,
Lucas Bernardi. :)
Also, ensure your not touching the glass on the bulb when your installing them. Skin grease will create a Hotspot on the bulb which can/will cause the filament to burn out.

have you swamped it??
any kind of water in the system will give you trouble

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope! The atv has mainly been used for trail cruising. The highest puddle i've gone through was maybe half way up the belt case. Other than that just trail riding.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update to what I have done to the ATV to rule out things that would possibly cause this problem: 1. tested the stator resistance with dynamic testing with multimeter, stator was good. 2. tested the regulator rectifier, turned out good as well. The only other thing I thought of was the headlight socket connectors. I replaced those, and the contacts on the old ones were just shot. They looked scratched and even a tad of rust on one contact of one unit. In addition, I also replaced the battery since it was almost 4 years old. Also, before I put the headlights back on I put dielectric grease on all of the connections (the plug and contact surfaces) and I hope this solves the issue. If anyone else has had similar issues please let me know if this has worked for you. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts