Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My 2017 Yamaha Kodiak EPS has issues with oil consumption. It seems like once the oil has gotten a little dirty it starts to get used up. For example, I had ridden 300 miles and it was at the top of the safe zone on the dipstick. Then, after those 300 miles it’s either at the halfway point or slightly below it. I am just wondering why a liquid cooled machine is using this much oil. I do ride it mostly between the speeds of 40-50 mph. Currently, I have 15,800 miles on it. It has been using oil for quite some time now like this. I even checked the air filter from last ride and it seemed to be pretty clean. Also, I do use Lucas semi synthetic 10w-40 oil. In addition, I did check the valves recently and they were still in spec, except for one exhaust valve which seemed to be near the max of the in spec range. I did not bother to touch it since it was in spec. Also, the compression is good. It’s at approx 120 psi. The manual calls for 98-142. There is also no smoke as well. This leads me to believe it has something to do with the breather system possibly, like the reed valve? Please let me know if you have had similar issues.
Thanks 😊

·
Registered
926 Posts
15 800 miles? Wow! That crazy mileage for a 2017

Very odd your going threw so much oil, and have no blue smoke

Reactions: JD864

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
15 800 miles? Wow! That crazy mileage for a 2017

Very odd your going threw so much oil, and have no blue smoke
I know right! I ride a lot in Wisconsin and there’s a bunch of road routes that are out there. You could also use them to connect from trail to trail. Another crazy thing is I was out riding for 13 hours last year and rode 376 miles within that time! I got turned around and had to go back around from where my starting point was so I had no choice but to ride those miles to get back 🤣.

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
212 Posts
I know right! I ride a lot in Wisconsin and there’s a bunch of road routes that are out there. You could also use them to connect from trail to trail. Another crazy thing is I was out riding for 13 hours last year and rode 376 miles within that time! I got turned around and had to go back around from where my starting point was so I had no choice but to ride those miles to get back 🤣.
I wanna see this highway-warrior Kodiak! Do you have it rigged up with 18-wheeler underbody gas tanks? Lol! Seriously, you must carry 15 gallons to do that!

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
That is one lot of miles for a single cylinder machine.

Did you do the compression test on a hot engine? Loosing that much oil you have to be burning it if you are not seeing it leak any

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
376 miles in one trip is just under 4 tanks of fuel. Who carries that with them?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
Thinking about it 376 miles in 13 hours is close to 30 mph for all of those miles not counting stops to refill, eat, stretch, or piss.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Thinking about it 376 miles in 13 hours is close to 30 mph for all of those miles not counting stops to refill, eat, stretch, or piss.

Yup exactly, just doesn't seem realistic imo

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JD864

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hi,
My 2017 Yamaha Kodiak EPS has issues with oil consumption. It seems like once the oil has gotten a little dirty it starts to get used up. For example, I had ridden 300 miles and it was at the top of the safe zone on the dipstick. Then, after those 300 miles it’s either at the halfway point or slightly below it. I am just wondering why a liquid cooled machine is using this much oil. I do ride it mostly between the speeds of 40-50 mph. Currently, I have 15,800 miles on it. It has been using oil for quite some time now like this. I even checked the air filter from last ride and it seemed to be pretty clean. Also, I do use Lucas semi synthetic 10w-40 oil. In addition, I did check the valves recently and they were still in spec, except for one exhaust valve which seemed to be near the max of the in spec range. I did not bother to touch it since it was in spec. Also, the compression is good. It’s at approx 120 psi. The manual calls for 98-142. There is also no smoke as well. This leads me to believe it has something to do with the breather system possibly, like the reed valve? Please let me know if you have had similar issues.
Thanks 😊
Are you aware of the oil burning issues that the 708’s in the 2016, 17, and 18’s had?
There is a lot of posts here in various threads about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you aware of the oil burning issues that the 708’s in the 2016, 17, and 18’s had?
There is a lot of posts here in various threads about it.
No I have not! It just seems weird. No blue smoke, starts right up, compression is good, and valves are still in spec! I find it very strange. I’m thinking that the engine could use a flush possibly. And I am considering switching to full synthetic 10w-40 oil. One thing I could say is that I did ride 81 miles after a fresh oil change and it didn’t use any. It seems once the oil gets dirty, it starts to use it. I’m thinking the dirty oil creates more friction and it burns it from the excess heat of the dirty oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

My bad, it was more like 15 hours I wrote this quickly and I thought it was around 13 oops 😬 haha

·
Registered
261 Posts
No I have not! It just seems weird. No blue smoke, starts right up, compression is good, and valves are still in spec! I find it very strange. I’m thinking that the engine could use a flush possibly. And I am considering switching to full synthetic 10w-40 oil. One thing I could say is that I did ride 81 miles after a fresh oil change and it didn’t use any. It seems once the oil gets dirty, it starts to use it. I’m thinking the dirty oil creates more friction and it burns it from the excess heat of the dirty oil.
If your letting your oil get to the point where its dirty enough to cause a meaningful increase in friction/heat... you need to change your oil WAY more frequently lol.

Get the tsb done, change that oil more.

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
Just be aware that because it is using oil doesn't mean that it will qualify for the TSB and if the dealer tears into it you may be libel for the cost of what they do to it.

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
212 Posts
Just some thoughts on oil.... in my vehicles I routinely observe 0 oil use in the 1st 2000 miles after a change. After 2000 or 3000 miles, I start seeing a little bit of oil use.
Obviously, my engine didn’t change. The oil did. As you run it, heat-cycle it, it absorbs moisture and impurities, etc etc... the viscosity reduces or breaks down. Even though the books say I can change the oil in my truck every 10,000 miles... the oil has been compromised beginning around 3000. Therefore, it’s due for an oil change shortly thereafter.
You would probably be well served to run full synthetic, keep your air filter clean, and change the oil every 1000 miles, or maybe 1500. Just my thoughts. Probably get some arguments... lol!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just some thoughts on oil.... in my vehicles I routinely observe 0 oil use in the 1st 2000 miles after a change. After 2000 or 3000 miles, I start seeing a little bit of oil use.
Obviously, my engine didn’t change. The oil did. As you run it, heat-cycle it, it absorbs moisture and impurities, etc etc... the viscosity reduces or breaks down. Even though the books say I can change the oil in my truck every 10,000 miles... the oil has been compromised beginning around 3000. Therefore, it’s due for an oil change shortly thereafter.
You would probably be well served to run full synthetic, keep your air filter clean, and change the oil every 1000 miles, or maybe 1500. Just my thoughts. Probably get some arguments... lol!
Exactly! I do keep the air filter clean and I’ve been changing the oil every 1000-1200 miles this whole time! That’s why it’s so weird to me!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Exactly! I do keep the air filter clean and I’ve been changing the oil every 1000-1200 miles this whole time! That’s why it’s so weird to me!
So in the last few hundred miles something changed...
Options:
1. Oil leak
2. Rings burning oil
3. Valve seals leaking

Try the compression test hot and cold. That should rule out rings. That leaves valve seals. Also, pull the spark plug and look for signs of oil on it. Check your coolant level and color. You could have a leak that isn’t external.
What else am I missing here guys?

·
Registered
560 Posts
So in the last few hundred miles something changed...
Options:
1. Oil leak
2. Rings burning oil
3. Valve seals leaking

Try the compression test hot and cold. That should rule out rings. That leaves valve seals. Also, pull the spark plug and look for signs of oil on it. Check your coolant level and color. You could have a leak that isn’t external.
What else am I missing here guys?
Dirty partially clogged radiator, weak fan, thermostat? Something anything that might be making it run a little hotter? Causing the oil to break down sooner.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts