Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone have any insite on what could be going with my Atv, it’s seems I have notice everytime I put it in neutral it’s been getting harder and harder to roll, and now it want roll at all but if I start it up and put it in drive it will go just fine can this be a linkage issue or something is wrong with the sealed wet brake for the rear any help will be great

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
No idea, but what I would do is to jack it up and get all 4 tires off of the ground. Then place it into neutral and spin each tire individually and see what happens.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Check your foot brake, my 17 and wife’s 16 had dirt and mud build up in the stem / pivot mount and it wasn’t allowing it to fully release.

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
Is the brake light on when you turn the key on?

The cables for the rear brake and where it goes into the rear diff is on the lefthand side behind the tire

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No the light isn’t on but I’m going to jack it up and do everything suggested and see what I find

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
Just to check does it turn on when you use the rear brake. A problem that a few of us have had is that the brake light switch will stick and not turn on the light or allow you to start in gear when the brake is applied.

That brake switch is also on the diff housing where the cables tie in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update guys took it down and I found the switch down there was melted but the rear brake pedal is binding up and the cable is like barely moving at all I moved the lever at the brake and it released so the tires roll now but do I need a new cable or cables or is there another fix the atv only 2 and half years old but I guess that doesn’t matter lol the age

·
Super Moderator
94 Posts
I've read of this happening to others be that a Kodiak or Grizzly. Most commonly happened to those who ride in mud or muck to where the rear brake foot lever pivot got gunked up with crud. You'll need to remove the foot lever, fully clean it out, regrease it with good marine grease. Maybe a shot of lubricant up the cable housing as well to make sure that is not part of the issue too.

·
Registered
232 Posts
First I would pull the cable off your foot brake and then pull the foot brake off the pivot stem. I had to work mine off with a pry bar. Clean it up and I put water proof grease on mine before re assembly. Put it back together then work the brake then you can see if the cable needs replacing. I bet it’s just the foot brake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks will do but yes it has been in mud just a few times but not much I have done some creek riding with it also but Thanks again I will try all that out and see where it takes me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts