Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently changed the in oil in my 2017 Kodiak 700. It was working perfectly before hand. However, immediately after the oil change it began to smoke after a cold start. The smoking will stop after it get up to temp. I used YamaLube 10W-40 with an oem filter.... Any thoughts would be great! I am stumped. I have read about the ring problems that Yamaha is having with their Kodiak from '16-'18. Which I am inclined to think that could be the problem. I just find it weird that the problem would start right after a simple oil change. Thanks!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
My 16 started smoking and using oil immediately after the first service. It's my understanding that's exactly when it started with most of the effected machines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grrr. Lol. Thanks that helps a lot! Do you know if yamaha has released anything about it. I can't find anything out side of the forum...I talked to the bigger yamaha dealer near me today, and they said that they have never heard of that problem. (referring to the rings). I've never had any fun dealing with them anyway. I am going to try the dealer that I bought the bike from. Problem is they are 500 miles away... Did yours ever get fixed?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Grrr. Lol. Thanks that helps a lot! Do you know if yamaha has released anything about it. I can't find anything out side of the forum...I talked to the bigger yamaha dealer near me today, and they said that they have never heard of that problem. (referring to the rings). I've never had any fun dealing with them anyway. I am going to try the dealer that I bought the bike from. Problem is they are 500 miles away... Did yours ever get fixed?

Here's the link to the grizzly central forum with more info on the 708 oil burning service bulletin.

Reactions: RedRocket

·
Grizzled Mod
348 Posts
@Kwhit Read the thread provided by Vincent and be persistent with the dealer. I personally would avoid mentioning you just changed oil (type) and it started smoking. Just tell them what you are using, YamaLube 10W-40 with an oem filter, and it started smoking, along with other pertinent info, miles, use etc. as they ask. Plenty in the US have had their top end 708cc rebuilt on Yamaha's dime and they presented the Service Bulletin in that GC thread when the dealer said "we haven't heard about that." That posted SB is a Canadian copy but it has also proved the SB exists for the US as well.

500 miles is pretty far. If you can trust the local dealer to do the rebuild, make sure they get the SB and if still an issue, force them to speak with Yamaha or contact Yamaha directly and give them the dealer name.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all very much. Vincent thanks for the link to the thread with the SB. And RedRocket, thanks for the advice with the dealer. I will go in with the SB and speak with them directly.

·
Registered
766 Posts
all they have to do is run your vin number (in regard to the SB ) to identify wether your machine is included in those covered.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kwit I have a 2016 Kodiak SE edition with the 708cc engine(Subaru engine) and I had the same problem, after I changed my oil the first time. My experience with Yamaha corporate out of California was great. I called and gave them my Vin# and they verified that my bike was one of the affected and sent me an email that explained to me what to do. They asked me what dealer I wanted to do the work and I chose a dealer in Baton Rouge, LA.(Friendly Power Sports). I set up the job and delivered my bike and within 2 weeks I had a brand new tope end, piston, cylinder, rings, wrist pins, and seals. I have not had one problem since. I am going to be changing the oil for the first time, on the new head, when I come home from work. I will let you know how it goes. I don't put alot of hours on my bike, maybe 20 hrs in the last year. I am sure Yamaha will take care of you. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kwit I have a 2016 Kodiak SE edition with the 708cc engine(Subaru engine) and I had the same problem, after I changed my oil the first time. My experience with Yamaha corporate out of California was great. I called and gave them my Vin# and they verified that my bike was one of the affected and sent me an email that explained to me what to do. They asked me what dealer I wanted to do the work and I chose a dealer in Baton Rouge, LA.(Friendly Power Sports). I set up the job and delivered my bike and within 2 weeks I had a brand new tope end, piston, cylinder, rings, wrist pins, and seals. I have not had one problem since. I am going to be changing the oil for the first time, on the new head, when I come home from work. I will let you know how it goes. I don't put alot of hours on my bike, maybe 20 hrs in the last year. I am sure Yamaha will take care of you. Let us know how it goes.
Thank you so much. That is great info. I will call them first thing Monday. I'll keep you posted as well. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 Kodiak 700 that had all the same problems in the exact same order. After taking it to 2 different dealers, the top end was replaced. But now, nearly 2 years later. I have quite a bit of oil in my coolant. Has anyone else had this happen after the major repair work ?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a 2017 Kodiak 700 that had all the same problems in the exact same order. After taking it to 2 different dealers, the top end was replaced. But now, nearly 2 years later. I have quite a bit of oil in my coolant. Has anyone else had this happen after the major repair work ?
Bad head gasket or something is up with the water pump. How many miles total and how many since the work was done?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bad head gasket or something is up with the water pump. How many miles total and how many since the work was done?
965 miles total. Probably 700 miles since the repairs. Approximately. I’ll have pull up the paperwork for an exact answer. The oil is clean in the crankcase. I just noticed the oil in the reservoir floating on top of the coolant. Maybe a couple of tablespoons full.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts