Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just redid the front diff on my kodiak and put it back in and everything seems great, my only concern is something I’m pretty sure the bike did anyway but I want to see if it sounds normal.
My bike has the manual lever 4WD. So when I pull the lever over the light may come on, but you don’t hear the basically pop or clunk of it engaging until I hit the trotted. Can anyone help me on this?

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
It may just be the gear engaging.

When you put the lever into 4x4 it turns a gear on the mechanical servo which in turns slides a gear into place for the 4x4.

I'd just make sure of the fluid level and ride it

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fluid level is 100% as I just filled it after putting it back in and have only drove it about 30-40kms. I used the Yamaha shaft oil 80-90 from the dealer. I’m fairly sure it’s a noise the bike has always had, I’m just curious if anyone else knew off hand what I was trying to describe.
I pull the lever over, and most times once I hit the throttle you can really hear the front diff engage. There is no sound when I disengage

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it is just the gear engaging.

If I remember right when I had the lever on mine before I changed it out I heard a clunk but that was a couple of years ago and I'm getting old and forgetful.

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
I went with the 501 Parts front diff lock with the electric option.

It replaces the 4x4 lever with the factory push button and I no longer hear the clunk just the buzz of the servo turning the gear in.

I wished that I would of taken some pictures of what it looks like inside the diff housing but all I took was one of the manual servo. You can see this gear that turns when you move the lever, it in turn slides a piece of metal that engages the 4x4 gear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup that’s what’s on mine. Do you know if there’s a right or wrong on installing it? Again my 4wd works so I’m assuming I did it right lol

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
No, I believe that it only goes in one way but as long as the gear is in the correct position and everything is working I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
If you do decided to do a front diff locker I highly recommend 501Parts. They have the manual one that uses the lever or the electric one that is quite a bit more.

I got lucky when I bought mine and they had it on sale for not much more than the lever one was, that plus I like the push button 4x4 switch, I can engage it without having to take my hands off of the grips. You have already found how to pull the front end out and to put the new gear in is only about another 15 or so minutes or even less.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
260 Posts
I know the diff has to begin moving some so the gears accually line up to engage.

I am a manual lever, and it is not noisy at all, like a very small click.

Are you able to record it and put a video for us to hear?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts