Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Last summer I sunk my Kodiak and it was hydro locked. I pulled the plug once I got it home, shot all the water out of the cylinder and did two oil/filter changes after getting it hot for both of those changes. Oil looked ok to me after the second change. This was towards the end of the summer so the machine was parked in my garage all winter I went to go fire it up this weekend and it won’t start. Seems to have a good battery as all lights/gauge cluster comes on, and I hear the fuel pump doing it’s thing when i turn the key. When I hit the start button it makes a noise like those old prank handshake things...like a loud buzzing. And it vibrates the front just to the left of the battery. I thought maybe i didn’t actually get all the moisture out so I pulled the sparkplug out again and still wouldn’t crank over. Any ideas? I’m hoping I didn’t somehow perma-lock my motor with corrosion or something since it sat for so long.

·
Registered
702 Posts
First make SURE your battery is strong and healthy (12.5+ ) and your positive / negative lugs are clean and tight. A low or weakened battery will give you the same simtums.

If that's good you probably need a new starter solenoid/relay . That's what is causing the buzzing noise. Locate it beside your battery, unplug and replaced it with an oem part.

Aftermarket onces are cheaper but known to be unreliable.

My quad used to do the exact same thing in cold weather. Replacing it was the fix.

Reactions: JimP and Jssrvlz

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
I'll second making sure that the battery has a full charge. Chattering relays is a indication of a low battery.

If it is fully charged then replace the starter relay and you should be good to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts