Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I made my self up a tip for the exhaust, it sounds great but noticed that on start up it will run for a couple second them die, start it back up and it's fine. Also if you gun it from a stop it almost stalls out and back fires, but can ease into the throttle until wide open and it's okay just cannot go wide open from a stop anymore, I'm assuming this is all because of the tip? Done alot of reading and from what I gathered a fuel programmer wasnt needed for just a tip on the exhaust but I think I may need one.

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
I can tell you on a motorcycle, you can have dramatic results on how things run with exhaust modifications, that is all I know. Good luck, and it will be fun to learn what solves the issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that if you change the muffler on them that a programmer is needed or if you do tip and air box mods you need a programmer, but lots of guys say they havent had any issuse with just putting a tip on. I may run it for a bit see if things get better if not ill put the factory tip back on and run it and if it keeps doing it I'm lost haha.

·
Registered
956 Posts
You'll definitely need a programmer as your leaning out an already very lean running engine.

·
Registered
307 Posts
That makes sense to me. More airflow should need more fuel too.

Is there a thread on fuel programmers? What are the dependable brands and the ones to stay away from? What are the pros and cons of having one? If we don't have a thread yet I can start one instead of hijacking Kyerin's thread.

·
Registered
956 Posts
That makes sense to me. More airflow should need more fuel too.

Is there a thread on fuel programmers? What are the dependable brands and the ones to stay away from? What are the pros and cons of having one? If we don't have a thread yet I can start one instead of hijacking Kyerin's thread.
All that info is on Grizzlycentral.com
But yes starting a thread here would be an excellent idea. This forum is still in its infancy and needs ad much knowledge shared as possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've done quite a bit of reading on the grizzly forums and lots of guys reccomend the ehs racing controller. But took the bike for a little ride today and pulled the yard trailer around a bit and it seemed to be fine wasnt running any hotter than usual and wasnt staling out after starting or with wot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm gonna end up getting a programmer anyways, I'm in canada and bit harder to find a programmer but royal disturbing has the dobeck ejk I may try out, just for the fact that I dont have to pay shipping, border fees and instead of 300usd "which is almost 600cad" its 300cad so unless I can find a ehs programmer in canada I'm gonna go for the dobeck.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Ya hear ya, all us Canadians always face that same problems......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it's starting better now I reworked my tip made it more restrictive for more back pressure, but now if I go through water it will die and not want to start, made a snorkel kit last night just for the air box and it seemed to help a bit but it still will spit and sputter a bit after going through some water, I'm thinking coil pack?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Before you waste your money on a bunch of parts. Reinstall a stock tip first, and open all your submerged electrical plugs, inspect them, clean them if required, fill full of dialectric grease, replug everything and ride on...

·
Super Moderator
1,656 Posts
Yep, put it back to stock and see if it stills happens. If not you may be chasing your tail

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts