Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Kodiak 700 2016 just started burning oil after only 165 hours of used. When to dealer and they're is a problem with the rings on the piston. And found out it is a recall and also they're is a recall on the starter. All gonna get fixed for free. Was just thinking to let you know all of you that got the same bike.

·
Grizzled Mod
373 Posts
Both of those issues have been brought up numerous times. The burning oil because of the wrong material used on the rings is actually a Service Bulletin, not a recall and yes, there is a difference. Service Bulletins are usually stated that there is a problem and those machines where it has been determined the problem has been identified by a certified Yamaha mechanic, will have those problems resolved by Yamaha.

The issue with the burning oil is only for certain VINs and those are for the 708cc engine. There are many who have had the work completed. The issue about the starter is a bit more unknown but there seems to be more and more owners experiencing starter problems where the starter stops working because the magnets have de-bonded. I even understand that the starter Yamaha has sourced is used in other ATV brands and some of those starters are being found with the same de-bonding issue.

If you have more information about the starter service bulletin, that would be helpful if you could share it. Thanks and welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
1,957 Posts
Owners need to know the difference between a "recall" and a "TSB (technical service bulletin)"

Recalls are usually issued for safety reasons but there are some that are issued due to defective parts. But there needs to be a lot of problems with those parts.

A TSB is just that, a customer comes into the shop complaining of a problem and the technician finds out that there is a bulletin issued to repair or replace that part with no charge to the customer.

Sometimes you need to wonder just how much it needs to cost the manufacture before they issue a recall over a TSB. I have a Ford Explorer who's front hood is made out of aluminum. There was a problem from the factory with the paint process which allows moisture to get under the paint and it starts to corrode the aluminum. I have no idea of how many Explorers have been affected by this but I would say that over 3/4's of them from 2015-2020 have been effected by it. But it isn't a recall but a TSB to replace and repaint the hood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I apologize for the mistake, I am new to this site. If I am gonna get my head chew off for this posting then I will cancel this account. I am sorry to try to help out other owners . We spend a lot of money on these machines and I found this website and just want to share and try to help others. It is because this website that I look in to it for as you call a service bulletin , not a recall. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I apologize for the mistake, I am new to this site. If I am gonna get my head chew off for this posting then I will cancel this account. I am sorry to try to help out other owners . We spend a lot of money on these machines and I found this website and just want to share and try to help others. It is because this website that I look in to it for as you call a service bulletin , not a recall. Thanks anyway.
You think what was written was chewing your head off? They just corrected you, that's it. Don't be such a snowflake, relax and keep posting..

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Nah.. don't worry about it. It's all good...

·
Grizzled Mod
373 Posts
@blckpwdr69 There was no offense meant at you, just wanted a minor correction as to what you had posted. You are welcome to stay and be a part of this community. It would also be of value if you could provide the information you have about your starter being replaced. Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@blckpwdr69 There was no offense meant at you, just wanted a minor correction as to what you had posted. You are welcome to stay and be a part of this community. It would also be of value if you could provide the information you have about your starter being replaced. Thank you.
Thanks, as soon I get more info about the starter when I pick it up for sure I will let you know.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The top end was replaced on mine in October of 19 under this TSB. This was after they gas lighted me since it started burning oil immediately after it's first service 3 years prior. Still have a sour taste in my mouth over the whole experience. I hate it when someone tries to pull the wool over your eyes while assuming you don't know ****!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Both of those issues have been brought up numerous times. The burning oil because of the wrong material used on the rings is actually a Service Bulletin, not a recall and yes, there is a difference. Service Bulletins are usually stated that there is a problem and those machines where it has been determined the problem has been identified by a certified Yamaha mechanic, will have those problems resolved by Yamaha.

The issue with the burning oil is only for certain VINs and those are for the 708cc engine. There are many who have had the work completed. The issue about the starter is a bit more unknown but there seems to be more and more owners experiencing starter problems where the starter stops working because the magnets have de-bonded. I even understand that the starter Yamaha has sourced is used in other ATV brands and some of those starters are being found with the same de-bonding issue.

If you have more information about the starter service bulletin, that would be helpful if you could share it. Thanks and welcome to the forum.
I own a 2016 Kodiak and I am now wondering if mine is one that has the bad rings. What is my best way to find out if my serial number is in the "bad ring batch" sequence?

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
I own a 2016 Kodiak and I am now wondering if mine is one that has the bad rings. What is my best way to find out if my serial number is in the "bad ring batch" sequence?
Being a 2016 and this being November, you are probably SOL as there's a 5yr timeframe on this.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,957 Posts
There was a serial number range posted somewhere, but if you aren't having problems with burning oil I doubt if you will have a problem.

But you can always call a dealer with your SN and ask them

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Reactions: rancherMike

·
Registered
22 Posts
There was a serial number range posted somewhere, but if you aren't having problems with burning oil I doubt if you will have a problem.

But you can always call a dealer with your SN and ask them

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
thank you, I've always changed oil annually, never noticed unusual smoke or low oil level on the dipstick. appreciate the quick reply

·
Super Moderator
1,957 Posts
I did some digging and here is the list of the model numbers along with the serial numbers of the affected Kodiaks.

While it is a TSB and time may of ran out if yours is affected I would still talk to a dealer about it.

If is in PDF form so it may be best to open it on a computer so that you can enlarge it easier.

Attachments

Reactions: rancherMike

·
Grizzled Mod
373 Posts
There are reports of Yamaha covering “expired” TSBs but it seems that usually happens when you have a dedicated dealer standing behind you.

However, if you have no current issues with your Kodiak, I would consider leaving it as is. Not every 708cc engine in the VIN range has experienced oil burning problems and seems to run just fine as reported by some owners on the forums. Don’t fix it if it’s not broken

·
Super Moderator
1,957 Posts
Usually where a TSB is concerned a dealer and or manufacture will not cover the repair unless you take your machine into them complaining about the problem and they verify that the problem exists.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did some digging and here is the list of the model numbers along with the serial numbers of the affected Kodiaks.

While it is a TSB and time may of ran out if yours is affected I would still talk to a dealer about it.

If is in PDF form so it may be best to open it on a computer so that you can enlarge it easier.
that was very nice of you to get me this info, my SR is not in there=Yea! thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE
92 Posts

Great job Jim. Thank you for all you contribute.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts