Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm new to this, just purchased a used 2016 kodiak 700 base model, when I turn the key on I have power everywhere and I hear the fuel pump prime. But the engine light flashes, But when I push the button to start it in park or neutral nothing happens. Has anyone seen this before? Is there a way to bypass the push button? Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Page from the owners manual :
http://www.kodiakowners.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5882&thumb=1

For the base model I don't know of any way to read error codes only to take it in to a dealer.
Just jumping the starter and make it turn over is not going to make it run like a carburated engine. ECU has to work and all sensors and systems need to be in working order for an fuel injected machine to start and run.

You can check stuff over before taking it to a dealer:
Make sure your throttle cable is not stuck ( has to do with throttle position sensor) , check all fuses and make sure your battery is charged and good; look under the hood and around the bike for disconnected plugs and broken wires.

When you turn the ignition key on , do the N or P indicator lights light up? Have you tried to push the foot brake while starting? Is the Brake tail light working when you do that? Is the Kill Switch switched to run?

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Is the Kill Switch switched to run?

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
If I had a dollar for every time my father has "broken down" and abandoned a machine, either an ATV or a snowmobile, in the woods and sent me back to retrieve it, only to find that he hit the kill switch, I'd have, well, several dollars. Certainly enough for a Big Mac meal, anyway...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the support, I mostly know my way around atvs just never had a new one before like a Yamaha, checked the kill swith, mashed the brake when hitting the start button in both neutral and in park, checked all plugs and connections and the battery is good to go, fully charged and working everything on the atv and I mean every light! I even rocked the atv back and fourth to make sure it was set in park, when I bought it the kodiak ran fine, absolutely nothing wrong with it, drove it about 3 times nothing hard just around the yard and then parked it in my shed, next day went to start it up and everything seems to work besides that start button

·
Registered
30 Posts
Get a bright flashlight and look at every wire on the machine. I read someones post a while ago that had a mice problem and they chewed wires and it took him a while to figure it out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the support, I mostly know my way around atvs just never had a new one before like a Yamaha, checked the kill swith, mashed the brake when hitting the start button in both neutral and in park, checked all plugs and connections and the battery is good to go, fully charged and working everything on the atv and I mean every light! I even rocked the atv back and fourth to make sure it was set in park, when I bought it the kodiak ran fine, absolutely nothing wrong with it, drove it about 3 times nothing hard just around the yard and then parked it in my shed, next day went to start it up and everything seems to work besides that start button
Normal operation for the base Kodiak: when ignition key is turned ON the check engine light illuminates and then turns off if all systems are OK. Is that happening for you?

Also a known problem for the '16 Kodiak is the rear brake switch going out of adjustment. This is something that I adjusted numerous times on my own quad, and it still only works half the time :frown2: It's easy to spot, when you push the foot pedal or pull the LEFT brake handle on handlebars, if the switch works then the brake light illuminates. That allows you to start the engine if you're out of P or N.

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Normal operation for the base Kodiak: when ignition key is turned ON the check engine light illuminates and then turns off if all systems are OK. Is that happening for you?

Also a known problem for the '16 Kodiak is the rear brake switch going out of adjustment. This is something that I adjusted numerous times on my own quad, and it still only works half the time :frown2: It's easy to spot, when you push the foot pedal or pull the LEFT brake handle on handlebars, if the switch works then the brake light illuminates. That allows you to start the engine if you're out of P or N.
On mine I didn't need to adjust the switch but only to pull the plunger down out of the switch where it had become stuck. I did that last January and it has been fine ever since.

But the OP's problem of not being able to start in Park or Neutral is going to be a switch, or wire problem. That is if the starter is fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts