Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced fuel pump relay, now it starts but only runs as long as I hold the start button in! As soon as I let go of the start button it dies! I can restart and hold in button and runs again and each successive time until I let go of the button and dies. Haven’t figured out yet. Would it be the button or a wire somewhere?? Please respond if any ideas! Thanks!

·
Registered
472 Posts
We need a bit more history, why did you replace the relay? My first thought is you have one of the wires wrong or not connected properly. Be careful holding in that start button that will be hard on the starter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We need a bit more history, why did you replace the relay? My first thought is you have one of the wires wrong or not connected properly. Be careful holding in that start button that will be hard on the starter.
The fuel pump wasn’t working and it had greenie meanies on some of the connection. It is correct factory replacement and when it starts the starter does not continue turning,

·
Registered
530 Posts
Someone else had this same issue recently. They had the 2 wires reversed on the relay

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
It was the starter relay that they were having problems with.

Perhaps you have a bad fuel pump or junk in the tank that has clogged things up.

·
Registered
530 Posts
It was the starter relay that they were having problems with.
I believe your right JimP, but wasn’t the symptom the same where it continued to run if the start button was held pushed?

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
Yes it was but that was because of wiring being reversed on the starter relay block.

The fuel pump relay is just plug and play, no wires need to be touched.

It sounds like what is happening is that the fuel pump is pressurizing the system to the injector but once that pressure is gone then the fuel pump is not coming back on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it was but that was because of wiring being reversed on the starter relay block.

The fuel pump relay is just plug and play, no wires need to be touched.

It sounds like what is happening is that the fuel pump is pressurizing the system to the injector but once that pressure is gone then the fuel pump is not coming back on.
Well, well, well guess what?! I did check the wires on the starter solenoid and found that they were labeled on it but the wires were wrong! It now runs! I am now replacing the fan as the bearings are going, so while I have it apart!!

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
So when was the starter relays wires swapped? Or did you mistake the starter relay for the fuel injection relay?

Reactions: fossil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So when was the starter relays wires swapped? Or did you mistake the starter relay for the fuel injection relay?
When the starter solenoid was replaced bc it was broken in half for some unknown reason. The wires were taken off one at a time so we can’t figure out how they got reversed unless the new one was opposite of old. This was a previously owned one and had snorkeling added and clutch redone by previous owner so don’t know what might have happened. It’s running now so will go from here.
thanks for everyone’s help!!

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
There is a aftermarket starter relay out there that has the poles reversed. Another member went through it trying to figure out the same thing and when he took it to the dealer all they had to do was to swap the wires around.

Here is a picture of the correct one. If you notice there is a brass strap going from one of the lugs to the fuse position. This is the terminal that needs the plus side from the battery ran to. If it is ran to the other post without the brass strap you will get the problems that you are getting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great info in here. This is definitely something to keep in mind for the future.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Someone else had this same issue recently. They had the 2 wires reversed on the relay
That was me I had bought a Chinese aftermarket starter relay and they had reversed the poles. It caused it to start then die after three seconds .look at your old on it has a piece of brass off the bottom of the pole then check the new one to be the same. Although if both are oem that would not be the issue

·
Registered
472 Posts
What a great service you all provide, this was very interesting! Kind of sad the fan is failing. Anyone know how often that happens?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts