Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Kodiak people, I am a long time ATVer, and have recently rekindled the flame woods racing sport quads in the woods. Recently my girl has been bugging me to get a utility quad or sxs so I can take her for evening rides after we both get off work. She knows I love the new Kodiak 700SE but am not a fan of payments on toys. Currently everything we own except her car is paid for, and I kinda would like to keep it that way. But we did the calculations and the payment on the new Kodiak 700SE is definitely not unreasonable even at 36 mth financing term.

However I still wanted to look into an outright buy option on an older utility quad, so I called my buddy who has a garage full of nice stuff and usually has something excellent for sale. He has an 05 Yamaha Grizzly 660 SE, with BRAND new 28 inch tires on ITP wheels, fresh carb overhaul from sitting so much, new drive belt and clutch rollers and housing all cleaned and serviced, new brake pads front and back ( the front calipers kinda look like they were in bad shape, but still worked ok) It rode nice yesterday, idles nice, starts easy no smoke or ticks, all new wheel bearings, 2400 miles with title.

No slop in a arms bushings, no leaks at cv/differential area, no ripped cv boots. All tie rod ends and steering seems tight. 4wd worked, diff lock worked, shifted through all gears fine with only a slight rocking motion required to set it in park.

I am sure it will probably need the brake fluid changed, an adjustment on the alignment as the bars were slightly off center ( could have been tire pressures though) differential fluids changed, and trans fluid changed. The winch motor works intemittently but I figure a Harbor Freight Badlands winch could bolt right onto the Yamaha mount, and the front bumper had a slight tweak in it from bumping a tree.

He wants $3500 for it, but had it listed for a while with no bites. Book value is $2800 on the high side. I want to give him a fair price for it because the new parts are 0 miles on them, so I was thinking 3k?

I kinda like the old style carb stuff, no eps, and easy valve adjustments on the 660.

So should I spend 3k plus a few hundred on tidying up the older Grizz or go for the 0 out of pocket and get the Hotttt new Kodiak 700 SE? I only rode 2 Kodiaks and recall they both ran extremely hot in stock form. Thats the only thing I disliked about them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The 700 SE is the only quad I've owned out of a lifetime of riding dirtbikes, ATC's, and regular street bikes, and I love it!
The electric power steering is simple fantastic when crossing logs at an angle, or when in a tight pinch.
I tend to stand up when riding rough trails and the bike responds well to throttled turns, and handles wonderfully.
My 36 month deal only made me have one day of buyers remorse, and the rest of the time I fell very fortunate to own one.
Good luck with your decision.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts