Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, im the new owner of a 2003 400 ultramatic. This is my first atv. I picked it up not running for 500 bucks. Initially it looked pretty good other than the obvious flat tires etc. It had been sitting for years under a tarp. Had it running in a couple hours. There was a broken wire to the ignition switch. A few hundred bucks in parts and it should be good as new. A couple things I noticed though:
Front driveshaft going into the diff is leaking
When I press the 4wd button, I can't hear anything, like a solenoid or actuator. Motor off, power on.
Everything else seems like routine maintenance but these 2 things have me a bit concerned.
I still think its a good deal at 500 bucks but is there anything I need to know before I dive in to these 2 problems?
I want to do a bit of a resto on it, bring it back to near new condition. What common problems should I be looking for etc. Someone said it was an '03 because it doesn't have the high/low range trans, just F-N-R on the shifter.
When I buy new tires, can I go up to 26's without a big loss of performance or should I stick with the stock 25" size.
Thanks everyone

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
It is just a seal on the axle where your leak is coming from. It isn't a bad repair, you just need to take a few thing off to be able to get the axle out.

On the 4x4 it could be as simple as a fuse or a bad relay. 501 Parts has instructions on troubleshooting the problem and is a good source for the servo parts.

Just going up to 26" tires shouldn't cause too much of a power loss.

As for common problems, I had a 2000 400 Ultramatic that never gave me any problems until it started blowing oil into the filter housing, but this was after more miles on it than I would like to remember. I thought about tearing into it but decided to just sell it after owning it for 17 years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is just a seal on the axle where your leak is coming from. It isn't a bad repair, you just need to take a few thing off to be able to get the axle out.

On the 4x4 it could be as simple as a fuse or a bad relay. 501 Parts has instructions on troubleshooting the problem and is a good source for the servo parts.

As for common problems, I had a 2000 400 Ultramatic that never gave me any problems until it started blowing oil into the filter housing, but this was after more miles on it than I would like to remember. I thought about tearing into it but decided to just sell it after owning it for 17 years.
Thanks for the info. Its the driveshaft input seal, not the axle seal so I think i may have to remove the front diff in order to get the shaft out of the way. And thanks for the lead on the YouTube channel. Funny, I came across some of his videos today and said I should watch some of these.

Text Line Font Parallel Engineering

I'm looking for number 20 on this parts fiche. Its not available from yamaha and was hoping someone on here has one they could part with.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Try and google atv junkyards, maybe one of them may have what you need .

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Ebay is also a good place to find older parts

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Reactions: Rob-c
1 - 6 of 6 Posts