Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all new member, I have a customers 2002 kodiak 400 in the shop and it sat after it stopped running a few years ago. took it apart it got water in the tank and carb (carb was green on the inside) replaced petcock, fuel hose, cleaned tank, cleaned carb and sprayed out everything with brake clean after cleaning in an ultrasonic cleaner, then rebuilt the carb, Fogged the cyl, replaced the plug. It now runs but is SUUUUPER rich on the pilot circuit, tried all the old jets, needle and seat and the adj screw. I tried all the way from fully closed to 3 turns open on the adj screw further out was worse. Any thoughts? Jets and all are stock any help? Thoughts? I kinda wanna try smaller pilot but if it ran with that one befor it should run with that one now? Thank you -Sean

Super Moderator
Could of one of the jets been enlarged slightly when the cleaning happened?

I'd swap out the jet and see what happens.

Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27鈥 Reptiles, 1鈥 wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
I had an old Honda 80 when I was a kid. The carb was extremely temperamental. The float adjustment had to be perfect - if the gas was slightly high, it would flood out. Slightly low, wouldn鈥檛 run. On that particular bike, I had to adjust the floats 3-4 times every summer to keep it running. That鈥檚 where I would start... make sure float valve isnt sticking, it鈥檚 closing off the supply, and the level is within range - maybe lower it 1/8鈥 and see.

Registered
I would install a inline fuel filter, then remove the carb and re- clean every thing. Double check the jets , float height etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I dont clean jets with brushes or files just use good chemicals and air pressure so that haven't enlarged but even if they did it does it with either the new rebuild kit jets and needle and seat or the old stuff. I definitely think it is float related as to get the bike to start easy i have to shut off fuel and drain the bowl other wise i have to crank it for a half hour.

Super Moderator
I don't know if you have a repair manual or not but I have one for a 2000 Kodiak 400 and they should be quite similar.

Here is a PDF file on the carburetor including reassembly starting on page 6 which gives the specs for putting it back together.

Attachments

Reactions: Seansy007

Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27鈥 Reptiles, 1鈥 wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
Any resolution on that carb?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts