Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, im new here and hoping someone can give me some direction rather than guess and checking with parts. I was using a 12 volt air compressor and tugged on the wire which ended up popping the ground clamp off and shorting out against the positive wire clamp. The machine died and I noticed a puff of smoke coming out from under the handle bars(seemed like the only thing applicable there is the ignition coil?) The machine cranks like normal but just won't turn over. After some digging I found there is no spark at all and I'm not getting 12v to the ignition coil. At first I though it was the ignition coil since that's where the smoke was but since there is no 12v coming to the coil does that mean its the CDI? Any help would be appreciated. I have a multimeter but I'm not really experienced with it (mostly just use it to find 12v, not sure what all the different modes are for lol) otherwise I'm pretty mechanically inclined.

·
Super Moderator
1,057 Posts
You need to test the fuses, even if they look OK they may still be blown.

The main fuse is under the seat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to test the fuses, even if they look OK they may still be blown.

The main fuse is under the seat.
Ok will do, when I was looking for 12v I did have power on a harness pin coming out of the CDI. Also all the lights on the cluster (neutral, reverse) work. So I assume the main fuse is ok. I did visual inspect the smaller 10amp fuse I believe that is labeled ignition and it appeared to be good but ill double check that.

Thanks Jim!

·
Super Moderator
1,057 Posts
Here is a diagram of the electrical component locations. I really don't see anything that would of smoked around the handle bar area.

But I'll look a little bit more for you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,057 Posts
You also have a Ignition fuse, I am not quite sure of it's location

·
Super Moderator
1,057 Posts
Did you find the problem?

Here is the fuse box with the fuses numbered.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Jim, I didn't have time to get too far into it but just with visual inspection the fuses are intact. Hoping to have a few hours tomorrow where i can dive into it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts