Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a '20 Kodiak with only about 12 hours on it so far. Machine runs pretty good so far, except when engaging the front diff lock. As soon as the diff lock is engaged, I get a significant engine stutter and loss of power. Feels almost exactly the it does when hitting the reverse limiter.

Anyone else have this happen? Was waiting to hit 20 hours to take it in for first service, but may need to get this addressed sooner than later.

TIA

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is a thread on here about that. The manual suggests coming to a full stop to engage 4x4 or diff lock. Seems they have electronically linked the actuator to the throttle. If you are under power, it stutters for ~3 seconds. Try a full stop and see if it still does it.
General consensus is that low-speed low-power May be safe to engage 4x4. But most people say to only do Diff Lock when stopped. Don’t wanna pop it!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, I only engaged lock when stopped never moving. And only used lock in Low Range as well, not sure that would make a difference? Definitely seems to be an electronics related thing and not specifically mechanical as the front end does lock, just with a lot of engine stuttering.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If it’s still under warranty....
Maybe the ECM isn’t getting the feedback that’s it’s locked in, so it still thinks the shift is happening? IE: bad sensor. If it’s still under warranty.... lol!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, LOTS of warranty left, it's only a few months old. Hoping it's something simple, too early to be having an issue with it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
When entering diff lock the limiter is on until everything locks into position.

Reactions: john zane

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a '20 Kodiak with only about 12 hours on it so far. Machine runs pretty good so far, except when engaging the front diff lock. As soon as the diff lock is engaged, I get a significant engine stutter and loss of power. Feels almost exactly the it does when hitting the reverse limiter.

Anyone else have this happen? Was waiting to hit 20 hours to take it in for first service, but may need to get this addressed sooner than later.

TIA

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
(Finally) Got to get some more seat time on the Kodiak this past weekend. Figured out the 4wd lock issue, apparently I'm just impatient, seems you need to wait for the lock indicator to go from "flash" to "solid" before moving otherwise the electronics cut power. This is probably to prevent damage prior to full engagement?

This thing climbs like a Mt Goat in 4wd-Low Lock! And the engine braking is extreme (almost too much even in High)!

Also, noticed that mine the starter will sometimes not engage if the EPS is active (wheels turned). Several times had to shut down while on the trial and when I went to start got nothing, straightened the steering and it fired right up - Weird! Also, noticed the machine would start while in gear (H) on occasion if I forgot to put it in park, also weirdness.

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
There is a starter over ride switch built into they brake light switch where you can start it in gear. Just pull in in the left hand rear brake lever and it will engage the over ride so that you can start it without putting it into park or neutral.

It is a handy feature.

Reactions: JKinPA

·
Registered
613 Posts
X2 starter over ride is a nice feature!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a starter over ride switch built into they brake light switch where you can start it in gear. Just pull in in the left hand rear brake lever and it will engage the over ride so that you can start it without putting it into park or neutral.

It is a handy feature.
That's likely what was happening, from MC riding I just instinctively pull the left lever (thinking clutch) when I start, it was a handy thing when I did a quick shut down for some reason and then needed to restart.

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
I found it by accident on my 89 Big Bear. A number of other manufactures didn't put one into theirs for a while after.

You have to figure that if you are between two rocks and can't get it into neutral or park and the engine is shut off you would pretty much be up the creek if you didn't have it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts