Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at buying a 2" hitch for my Kodiak for $75 but that seemed expensive, then i found a 2" sleeve at walmart for $12. I welded that onto the factory hitch and bolted it back on. while i was at it, i welded on a jeep tow hook... makes for easy recoveries.

I know i need to paint it btw. :wink2:

Attachments

Reactions: KodiakBar

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got some finished pics. basically i added some flat bar at the top of the hitch, not that it's needed it. the factory hitch piece that i welded the sleeve onto was plenty sturdy, but i was taking it off to paint it so i went ahead and welded the flat bar across, then twisted it into shape then drilled out the holes. had to go buy 2 bolts, they are M10 1.25 metric bolts. the ones i got were too long, so i cut off a half inch i bet. the bolt only needs to go in about 1/2 an inch. so i'd say the shortest bolt you can get... but you'll likely have to cut it anyway. cut it, then run a file through the bolt threads to make sure it twists in easily.

also including pic of ebay image, they all have the hitch upside down on ebay.

Attachments

Reactions: Link

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One look at what comes on the 700 for a hitch and I knew I had to change that. Gathered some scrap steel and went to work. End product will definitely be an improvement.
Excellent work!

Reactions: TerryG1#

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nice. I built one for mine the first day I had it home. No stock parts were harmed in the making of this receiver: It is bolted onto the bike and the factory hitch mount. I often tow trailers around with it, including my homemade 3'6"X4" utility trailer for hauling apples into the woods during deer season, and for hauling deer out

Attachments

Reactions: dashaint
1 - 8 of 8 Posts