Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all..the dealer quoted me $400 for a first service..what exactly do they do for $400??? is it just an oil change??? i tried looking into it myself but heard different things from different people (i.e changing differential fluid, changing spark plugs, etc)..any help so I can DIY would be appreciated--thanks

·
Registered
627 Posts
Oil and filter. Chassis lubrication and valve adjustment. $400 seems like a rip off though imo. I think they take the spark arrest or out for inspection as well but still, not worth $400

·
Registered
55 Posts
Seems a little steep. It cost me $100 labor and $45 for fluids + taxes. Oh and thats Canadian dollars, about $ 105 USD.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Chassis lubracation, that's a joke there is only 4 grease fitting that I can find on the hole bike. That would take all of 2 mins work to grease them

·
Registered
39 Posts
Valve adjustment at the first service seems suspect as well. I have had a handful of new bikes and none needed adjustments or a check until at least 5000k (street bikes mind you)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all your input-- vlalve adjustments and chasis lubrication seeemed suspect to me as well..I'll change oil and filter for now and follow the owners manual the rest of the way

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
If you look at the factory service charts in either the owners manual or a service manual you will see 20 or so items that need to be checked on the first service. It ranges from everything from changing the oil in both the front and rear ends, and engine. Cleaning or changing out the air filter and various other things along with checking the valves. Now just removing all the parts that are needed to check the valves would eat up a lot of that $400.

So when you take it to a dealer it gets a lot more involved than if you do it at home in your garage. I agree that there are things that you can skip but then that is why you take it into a dealer that should know what they are checking and how to do it.

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
I was quoted $130 by my dealer here in Maine.

If they did all the oil changes and checks along with checking the valves that are listed for the first service, then you got a great deal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If they did all the oil changes and checks along with checking the valves that are listed for the first service, then you got a great deal.
As I stated above, $145 CND was my cost at the Yamaha Dealer, $45 in fluids/grease and $100 in labor. I find this a fair cost but not a great deal. $400 is a rip off, Valves are not adjusted unless required. Based on my manual valves are to be checked and adjusted if required every 1600 mi for the first 4800mi, then every 3200 mi.

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
They might of changed the manual from the 2016 one then.

On the 16 model is says to check and adjust if needed at 320km, 200 miles, or 20 hours.

Just to get to the point that you can check them is a chore.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
They might of changed the manual from the 2016 one then.

On the 16 model is says to check and adjust if needed at 320km, 200 miles, or 20 hours.

Just to get to the point that you can check them is a chore.
It seems that our manual are different. In the case were valve adjustment would be included in the service, cost would certainly approach the $400 mark.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
Perhaps the had enough owners bitching about the cost when they took their machines in for work that didn't have to be done.

Even my service manual for the 2016.2017 calls for them to be done early.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Valve adjustment

Valve adjustment at the first service seems suspect as well. I have had a handful of new bikes and none needed adjustments or a check until at least 5000k (street bikes mind you)
Dealer where I had 20 hour done said the book was incorrect, valves don't need adjusting at 20 hours.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts