Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 1998 Kodiak that has been sitting for awhile. After some work I got it running, however it seems to be under power and has no kick when full throttle. Ive cleaned out the carb a few times without any change. I've changed the oil +filter, gas, spark plug, cleaned air box and filter. Replaced throttle cable. Bike starts and idles fine but when you get it theres no pick up and seems to almost bog down. Wondering what else I can try to fix this? The engine also seems to get hot when running for awhile wondering if this is an issue or just normal.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
You will need a compression tester that screws into the spark plug hole. You then turn the engine over and see what it is reading. Here is one from Harbor Freight but any auto parts store will also have them. Some just use a rubber insert that you press into the spark plug hole while you turn the engine over. https://www.harborfreight.com/quick-connect-compression-tester-62622.html Also if you unscrew the oil fill pug/stick leaving it just sitting in the hole and start the engine does it just sit there or does it blow out of the hole?

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
You may have some bad rings allowing pressure pass them when the spark plug fires. If you look in your air box you might see some excessive oil in it also that is coming through the crank case ventilation tube.

It may be time for a rebuild or see if you can find a good used engine. On my 2000 400 Kodiak I still had quite a bit of power but I suspected a broken ring. A rebuild if you do it yourself isn't too bad if it is just rings but if you need to replace a piston or cylinder then it will cost more than the machine is worth. Then it is time to just piece it out and sell the good parts and trash the rest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think I may have figured out the issue. The air/fuel mixture screw on the carb was completely stripped. So today it took the entire day to get it out and be able to adjust it. After that the bike has all kinds of power no bogging down or anything. Im gonna keeping messing around with that but I think that will fix that issue.

However I've noticed from day 1 that the engine head gets super hot only after a few mins of driving around. I re-wired the fan to a switch as it was never coming on by itself. Is it normal to run really hot?

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
I don't know about the head getting hot but when my old 2000 Kodiak had it's problem it appeared that there was a lot of heat coming from the engine. It then would kick back when trying to start, but after a few times it would run all right except for when I tried to load it up some steep ramps onto the back of my truck.

All this went away and it ran fine until I got rid of it except for the excessive blow by coming out of the crank case.

You can pick up a infrared thermometer fairly cheap from Harbor Freight and see what the temperatures are running. But I would be willing to guess that yours is like mine was and has a problem in the cylinder with the rings. You could ride it for another couple thousand miles and then again it might die on you tomorrow. That is why I decided to get rid of mine and sold it to a guy letting him know just what I knew about it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Might have some rust in the tank or bad gas maybe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts