Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The drive pinion and ring gear broke.are these known issues?
Im.new to this.the bike is snorkled on 30 inch tires.tyia.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did you buy the bike new or used, all service done to schedule? 30" tires?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Not something I've heard of before....

·
Registered
530 Posts
What were you doing when it broke? I would be wondering if that and the 30” tires were to much for it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
This is not common, can you tell us it the oil level was at the right level? I have a hard time thinking this has something to do with your tires. Sorry for your loss!

·
Registered
232 Posts
What brand of 30 inch tires ? And any clutch work done ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Kinda looks like the "upgrade circle of death" to me. Bigger tires -> clutch mods to spin bigger tires -> more torque to snap axles -> stronger axles -> more expensive stuff breaking. I'm willing to bet the previous owner probably rode with the Diff lock on and used the limiter over-ride button all the time.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm guessing the 30's weren't put on for cruising the trails. I'd say the machine was driven hard by the original owner. That damage screams abuse to me.

·
Registered
473 Posts
fordrob, one of our hobbies is to follow along these stories, with the idea of learning something or helping out. For that to happen, we need some feedback or updates!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Kinda looks like the "upgrade circle of death" to me. Bigger tires -> clutch mods to spin bigger tires -> more torque to snap axles -> stronger axles -> more expensive stuff breaking. I'm willing to bet the previous owner probably rode with the Diff lock on and used the limiter over-ride button all the time.
I second the opinion about the diff lock being on. He didn't mention which diff though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An update.pulled the engine split the cases.replaced the gears.rode it probably 8 hours.it blew a head gasket,from a faulty ect sensor.replaced it rode another 4 hours and it blew the haed gasket again.ive used all yamaha parts.fan comes on.im at a loss as to why this happened.i. gonna pull the head and send it to the machine shop.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Responded 5 days ago... Turning 30 inch wheels and tires on a machine designed for 25 or 26 inch tires with 28 gram weights is OK. Turning 26 or 27 inch tires on a Grizzly or Kodiak which has been weighted to 18 grams of weight would be ok as well. BUT, if the original owner slapped on 30 tires without changing the ratio in the CVT such as shimming, weights or springs....it's no wonder the pinion gear teeth was sheared off by the drive shaft, or always rode in diff lock on pavement. There is a significant increase in tire weight for every inch in tire diameter. Thats unsprung tire weight that the engine has to turn. Too much rotational resistance and the weak point was the pinion gear. It's like starting off in 4 gear in a car, you're labouring the engine and associated drive train. Sorry about your troubles but you should verify what exactly was done to the CVT. As well, there is lots of information on ATV tire sizing regarding the positive and negatives to increasing tire sizes and the steps you can take to ensure you don't damage the machine. Now head gaskets blown...sheesh. Without mincing words I'de say the guy who sold you the machine was dumber than a bucket of hammers in regards to modifying the ATV. Who knows what else he did to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts