Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
It really depends on if it is hot out or not.

We did one on a friends Polaris in about 30 minutes, but it was cold with snow on the ground up in the hills.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Watch a video of the belt replacement before you do it.

The foot boards need to come off and you will use a couple of the longer bolts to collapse the shiv or whatever it is called to be able to get the belt off and on.

My first belt job was a 4 beer job, not because it took so long but I just wanted to drink some beers.
I think I'll take this guy's advice...seems up my alley. o_O

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Your Kodiak is actually a 400 as the 450s all had high / low range in 2006, but the 400s did not.
Ah, interesting — on closer inspection, it appears you are correct. Boy, sure would have loved that Low range after all these years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It really depends on if it is hot out or not.

We did one on a friends Polaris in about 30 minutes, but it was cold with snow on the ground up in the hills.
Heat being a benefit, I assume, in terms of the belt being loose?

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
Yep more heat equals more beer.

On that Polaris it broke down too far back in to think about towing out so we headed to town to get the belt and some tools.

When we got back to it we only had around a hour until dark, so we just went to work on it.

I was surprised when I realized how fast that we changed it in

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
And that's how it gets done ... something about ' necessity being the Mother of all inventions' . Man I love the self reliant nature of the DUDES on this site.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ha, I like anything measured in the number of beers...so, if it's a one beer job for most, I'd say it's probably a two beer job for me. Know of any good guides on here?

It looks like I'm taking apart the same panels for a belt change as an oil change, at the very least I'll take a look at it.

What am I looking for, exactly — the belt will be worn down on those grooves that face the clutch?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts