Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, totally new to the forum - I've done some searching around about the issue I'm having and, after striking out, decided to put a post up.

I have a nice little 2006 Kodiak in the 450 with 4x4. It's been a rock solid machine for years of relatively light use on our 5 acres.

We just upgraded to a bigger replace and a much bigger stretch of property (30ac), at some point in the move I noticed that my Kodiak was bogging down when it was under load (firewood trailer) or going up an incline.

I looked into it and one person suggested removing the air filter to see if additional oxygen would offset the problem...nope.

I've done the most obvious things I could think of (add some oil, hit it with carb cleaner and add some SeaFoam) but it still bogs out under load.

It's weird, because it almost feels like if I hit the throttle just right it will suddenly push through.

Really hoping this isn't an expensive fix, I may just make the jump to a SxS.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Welcome to the Kodiak forum. So it runs fine if not under a load? Does it do it in low gear? You may have a crack or small hole in the carburetor boot, causing it to suck too much air when giving it more throttle.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So when you give it throttle does the rpm of the engine increase but not your speed?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Has the belt been examined or has it ever been replaced? Sounds like possible slippage however you should be able to sense if it is engine bog under throttle/ load. Afishyo's idea is excellent and very possible given the model year. Had an old Saab 900 that would crack the carb boots regularly and you could only crawl along. Any throttle would cause 'bogging ' Good luck

·
Registered
119 Posts
Has the belt been examined or has it ever been replaced? Sounds like possible slippage however you should be able to sense if it is engine bog under throttle/ load. Afishyo's idea is excellent and very possible given the model year. Had an old Saab 900 that would crack the carb boots regularly and you could only crawl along. Any throttle would cause 'bogging ' Good luck
Actually a rubber diaphragm within the carb that would crack due to cold.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses already. I fear I'm going to give away my naivety at this point...I have not had the belt examined but certainly can. What am I looking for on the quad for the carburetor "boot?"

Is that something that might happen suddenly from a puncture? Right before we moved I did several trips with heavy loads of firewood from a neighbor's property in some gnarly brush and it was the last trip or two that I noticed it was struggling to pull up the hill.

Lastly, I don't believe I have low gear on this machine...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rubber simply oxidizes on the surface and cracks. Also rubber abhors UV light and ages quickly. Most likely would need to disassemble to fully examine?

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you can examine it properly without removing it by all means .however I plugged a puncture in my 2 plus yesterday and couldn't identify the leak even submerged in tank .Could only find it with my ear actually pressed to the wetted tire. Nothing beats close inspection with your senses. Listen to Afishyo and Rob-c they are better mechanics than me.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Did you my question above ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you my question above ?
I did not but I just re-read it...I'll need to test today to be sure but I think the answer is yes. It makes almost the exact same sound as when you are going in reverse but hit the limiter. Like a tut-tut-tut-tut-tut sound...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I did not but I just re-read it...I'll need to test today to be sure but I think the answer is yes. It makes almost the exact same sound as when you are going in reverse but hit the limiter. Like a tut-tut-tut-tut-tut sound...
If your getting rpm from your engine but not really moving you most likely burnt your drive belt. Especially as you said you were hauling heavy logs in high range. Look on your shifter gate does it read P R N H L from bottom to top ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was about 99% sure there's no Low but figured I'd double check - here's what I've got:

I was indeed hauling some heavy loads of oak firewood, so I guess it makes sense. I was about to do an oil change - how hard is a drive belt swap?

·
Registered
119 Posts
One Beer job as the good wenches say. Not sure if you need to replace but definitely examine and if it has never been replaced I would definitely consider.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One Beer job as the good wenches say. Not sure if you need to replace but definitely examine and if it has never been replaced I would definitely consider.
Ha, I like anything measured in the number of beers...so, if it's a one beer job for most, I'd say it's probably a two beer job for me. Know of any good guides on here?

It looks like I'm taking apart the same panels for a belt change as an oil change, at the very least I'll take a look at it.

What am I looking for, exactly — the belt will be worn down on those grooves that face the clutch?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Your Kodiak is actually a 400 as the 450s all had high / low range in 2006, but the 400s did not.

·
Super Moderator
1,111 Posts
Watch a video of the belt replacement before you do it.

The foot boards need to come off and you will use a couple of the longer bolts to collapse the shiv or whatever it is called to be able to get the belt off and on.

My first belt job was a 4 beer job, not because it took so long but I just wanted to drink some beers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts