Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. So having not changed this belt since I've owned it 6-7 years, and the previous owner not looking like the wrenching type I thought I'd change the belt before taking off for Elk Season (Tomorrow). The problem is that once the new belt is installed (also did the 1mm shim mod), the belt sits at least an inch low into the rear pulley so it bogs like hell. I've had it apart twice and can't see anything wrong and I know it's back together right. When I watch video's of belt changes of this machine the all sit pretty much even with the top of the rear pulley. This is a Yamaha belt and the packaging shows it's for the right machine. Any suggestions?

Super Moderator
Did you compare the new belt with the old one to check for the correct size?

If they are the same then I would suspect that something is put together wrong. If they are different I'd put the old one back on and go hunting.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could dig the old one out of the trash can in my shop and check. It wasn't so horrible it wouldn't last a couple more years just light cracking between ribs. I didn't take the roller cage apart but the only thing I can think of is maybe I let them separate enough for a roller to dislodge and not seat correctly. I think I'll tear it all down again, pull the cage apart (grease didn't look bad), but run it all through the parts washer, re-grease and re-install and see what I get. Other than that I can't picture what else could be wrong.

Super Moderator
I'll put money on it you have a roller out of its channel. I did exactly that the first time i had mine apart, it's super easy to do if not careful.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Sir, you would have won that bet! I tore it all down and found one out of place. I put it all through the parts washer, cleaned everything up, re-greased and all is well with the world now. Gotta say, I've had a lot of toys over the years but this Kodiak 400 has been a standout for reliability and dependability. Just fluid changes and a battery has been the extent of it. Was looking at new ones yesterday when picking up the belt for it, but I'll pass. Seems they are being built so much bigger and taller that I wouldn't be interested. This thing excels at getting through the tight woods, pulling out Elk and plowing snow all winter without any complaint. Starts first touch of the button so what else could you ask for (except maybe the same overal size with a 600+ cc stuffed in it). Appreciate the quick replies!

Super Moderator
Awesome, glad you got it figured out.
They really are great bikes, my coworker has an 08 450 kodiak, obviously i can leave him in the dust with my 700, but just out on nice trail rides, he has zero issues, we both go through all the same stuff, sometimes i forget that he's on a 450. He did a complete service on it a while back, replaced front brakes, and a couple wheel bearings, a cv boot, and then all the fluids, greased and lubed every moving part.... I mean EVERY one. He wanted a new belt since his was over 10years old, the dealer laughed at him when he asked for a belt. Asked him why he was changing it, says they only sell about 2 belts a year. Honestly, the new belt looked dusty and dirtier from hanging on the wall than the original belt the bike was built with 12 years earlier. Lol
He put the new belt on, and hung the original on his wall. He looked at me and said, there, my great great grandchildren will have a belt for this thing if they ever need it. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts